Foam Filled tires.....?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Jul 29, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have been thinking about having all tires switched to foam filled this winter......Does anyone run foam filled tires on their ZTR units????? Pros and cons??????? As we venture into more and more commercial we experince more flats compared to when we handled more residential then commercial....

2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

eggy were you talking about the solid filled foam tires they displayed at the Expo? Those tires where very light, and the problem thing i see is when you need a little better traction with air filled you can always adjust the pressure. Ive yet to have a flat on my drive tires, and since ive been using the slime on my castor tires everything has been ok. I always let 5lbs of air out of my drive tires on several of my jobs do the hilly terrian. Marks Mowing Service

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Almost all oem's out there will void your warranty on the frame of your mower, if you foam fill your tire's.
    Foam filling is great for not having to put up with flats.
    But they can do some real damage to your frame.
    The foam filled tires do not take the shock like a air filled tire would.
    Some oems offer a foam filled tire option on certain models that they feel it is safe doing it on.
    Huslter makes it standard on the "Hustler Hog"

Pj

4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Not the same mowers, but we have two toro 325d's that we had all the tires filled with a solid rubber type filler. They are heavy as anything, but we never get a flat anymore. We use to get flats almost once a twice a week.

Performance wise, they are a much rougher ride at first. After awhile, you seem to forget about it though and assume thats just the way the mower rides. I'm sure if I jumped on a machine with air filled tires again, I would notice a big difference.

We have had no problems handling or performance wise. Maybe they are rougher on the frame, but we have put a couple hundred hours on the machines since the install and have noticed no problems with the machine that it didn't have before.

steveair

5. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen the in the front casters on wb's. The behave practically the same.

6. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Last month we had six flats in two weeks and two leaks that we couldn't plug. Went to Walmart and bought there "off brand" of slime. Spent one hour filling eight tires. Since then no more flats or leaks. This stuff is great. It cost $20 for one gallon. The gallon filled all eight tires with enough left for another ZTR.

Good luck.
    Ssouth

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Yep...what Ssouth said.

'Slimed' my tires and no more flats. :D

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I've got foam filled on the front castors of both the Toro wb and the Walker.
    Toro used to be air but it would be flat EVERY day. They were done by a tire place in town. Heavy little buggers but no change in handling or mowing.
    Walker makes foam fro the front castors and I love them.
    I wouldn't even think to fill the drive tires because of the heaviness.

9. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Wow Ssouth, 20.00 a gal. sounds alot better than what the real Slime goes for. Thanks for the tip.

10. I had all my W/B’s caster tires and Velke tires filled

I have to say no more flats but the torture on us and the mowers was harsh

Front caster yokes break and the ride on the velke was rough

The added weight to the front of the W/B’s was great but not worth it

The tires wore out faster and you will have to buy new rims to when they do

But don’t fill drive tires you will add to much weigh to the drive tires

I have found filling them half full with Slime helps very well

And if you buy it in a big quantity it not to expensive

I bought a 5 gal pail with pump for $93

LGF:blob1: