1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Foam Filled Tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Boys LawnCare, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

Has anyone had their mower tires filled with foam, in order to keep from having anymore problems with leaks or flats? The tire guy recommended only the front tires. He said the ride wouldn't be very good if I did the back tires. I have a ZTR, and a couple walk behinds. The newest Toro walk behind came with solid composite tires in the front. What's your experience been? I hate being shut down because of a flat tire.
  2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

foam filled back tire will cause you major wheel motor problems and the best thing that I have come up with is a sealer called Multi- SEAL Tire sealant here is a link that might work
  3. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I run zero-flats on the fronts of my standers and midmounts. I run them on the rear (steer) and decks on my 5111. So far, they've been a great investment. No more flats. The drive tires on all my equipment have slime in them. This arrangement seems to work well.
  4. Bill Boroskey

Bill Boroskey LawnSite Member
    from CT.

Foam Filled tires WILL NOT cause problems with a transmission. I have used foam filled tires on my mowers since 1994. Some were gear driven some were hydros (And I ride a velke pushing a jrco thatch rake!!!:weightlifter: ). If you are running a crew or a tight schedule the reduced down time to not having flats is well worth it. Especially when a customer has just had a new roof put on the house. The only down fall is the weight of the tires the are very heavy a rough guess would be about 75 to 80lbs apiece. I have not used them on a rider though. In that case they might be too heavy.

Long story short. Its the best investment I make when I buy a new mower or replace the tires. The positive blow the negatives away.

just my .02

If you have any Q's PM me.
  5. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

My velke has foam. It was really bumpy at first, but I got used to it, and don't even notice it now.
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Bill Boroskey except that the new foams are much lighter and the tires act as if they have air in them. No difference in performance.
  7. 3JLawnScapes

3JLawnScapes LawnSite Member

The tires on my sulkey are always going flat, do I just get them filled at any normal tire place?
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Get some Slime from Northen Tool or any other hardware or auto parts store. Ever since putting the stuff in mine, not only are they puncture resistant, they hold their air pressure perfectly. :)
  9. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

Exmark's manual says the warranty will be voided if you foam fill the drive tires - they claim it will stress the hydro motors.

I, too, have had superb results with the Multi-Seal listed above.
  10. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Stuff works, true. But down the road, when it's time to change out the tire, God help you. If you're lucky enough to get it off somehow, you'll probably find the rim is corroded with rust.