Foam filled tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by weaver, Nov 15, 2012.

1. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

After so many flats and tires going down in the winter i decided to try and foam fill my tires myself. I pulled the valve stem and used insulating foam in a can reinserted the valve stem and so for so good. Anybody else ever try this? Only did it cause the cheapest no flats were like 85 each.

2. weaver

I forgot to mention that i ONLY did this on my two wheel sulky and no mower tires...

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Never tried it, but I'm thinking its going to eventually crush and break up in pieces.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. weaver

Well like i just added it was on my sulky only No mower tires.. So the only weight it has to support is me.. I hope it holds. but if not 2 new tubes and i'm back where i started..

5. cgaengineer

You may be just fine, I just know that stuff crumbles when it gets old.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. HPI_Savage25

HPI_Savage25 LawnSite Member

How about those "Tire Balls" ? I know they are available for ATV"s and such, not sure if they have anything available for a tire such for a sulky.

I searched the site and didn't find anything but then on the "Agriculture" picture it showed "Worry Free Lawn Care" so they may have some stuff but it just isn't on the site. Who knows...

7. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member

Insulation foam will crush/crack/disintegrate when used like this lol......you are going to have flat tires full of foam fluff.

8. cgaengineer

That's what I was saying...it's not designed for compression.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. weaver

Well i admit this is not typically how i do things tried it it works, but did it because of the tires i found where so expensive. Like 85 each, heck i only paid 150 for the sulky new. Since posting this i did just find some from Northern tool for 50 for both with shipping. So what ever, it does work for now but i'm sure you're right would not hold up in the long run... It's funny i looked and looked and could not find none without paying an arm/leg but as soon as i posted here fould em...

10. cgaengineer

That's how the cookie crumbles my friend...
    Posted via Mobile Device