1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Foam filled tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by weaver, Nov 15, 2012.

1. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

There are tire places that will foam fill a tire. The foam is also polyurethane foam, however it is a 2 part foam that will cure by itself in a sealed cavity (unlike the foam in a can you used). I'm not sure how different the actual foam will be. It is still polyurethane foam, but there are many formulations of polyurethane.

2. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

"Slime" works for me.

3. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

You know since posting i did find some really cheap from Northern Tool, but am so confident this will work am gonna continue to use them until whenever and just put the new ones on the shelf until needed. If i'm wrong i'll let everyone know but as nice as they're working i doubt i'll need the new ones. I mean i got the tire covering the foam and the foam is in the tube so no weather can get to the foam to break it down.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It's not the weather that will break it down...it's the compression. This foam is not designed for tires which give.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. HPI_Savage25

HPI_Savage25 LawnSite Member

Not trying to start a mess here but, I take it you don't ever take tires off or haven't taken one off that is filled with slime. I worked at the local Ford dealership and anytime someone had a tire with slime in it, half the time they wouldn't tell us and it would make for one big mess! On that note, I use it myself. I just to make sure to take it off myself if I'm getting new tires or let the shop know.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

No, I've never taken, or seen a tire taken off of the rim that was "slimed". My tire dealership buddy may give me a cussin' when (and if) that happens. :)

7. lil

lil LawnSite Member

Are there any downsides to slime filling? Wheels rusting, tyres degrading etc. There seems to slimebe a lot of itmyths out there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Wheels will rust, and for me...slime didnt work. I would still come into shop in the morning and have a flat.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i used the foam in a can once this summer on a wheelbarow tire in a pinch. too lazy to run 30 mins one way to the store and 30 mins back. so i tried the foam. made a hell of a mess and i had a tough time getting it in there evenly. i got mad, cussed a lot and went inside to drink beer. sure nuff, the next day, it had cured somewhat decently and worked OK. there were still some empty spots in the tire and i sure noticed it. but overall, id try it again if i had to. not on anything larger than a cart tire tho. don't think itd hold any real weight.

10. weaver

weaver LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, you would be suprised... I actually filled the tube with no holes with the foam. The darn things kept going down, even new ones.. No mess here just took the valve stem out and when the tube filled up held my thumb over it and quickly inserted the valve stem.. Just did it yesterday and this morning they are hard like bricks almost.. So far they're working, but yes like you said would never try it on a mower tire..