1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Foam filled tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsteveharris, Nov 29, 2000.

1. jsteveharris

jsteveharris LawnSite Member

what do you think about foam filling the caster wheels or the velke wheeels? I have a lot of flats due to mowing new construction sites.
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Best thing you can do. Go to a local tire place in town. Mine has a min. charge of 25 per tire but well worth it in the long run. Be sure the tires you use are relatively new.
  3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Been discussed before.

DO IT!

My guy gets $18/min per tire. Tires last forever. Heavily grease your bearings and that tire/rim/bearing assembly will last for years.

It will make your tires heavy!
  4. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

how does it work on velke tires? I bought one of the
    never flat tires they sell in parts catologes and it jarred our brains out my guys won't put it back on.
  5. Lazer

They are a BIT stiffer, but I think that totally depends how the foam fill them. They're not solid rubber.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'd do it on a Velke or caster tire. I wouldn't do it on a ZTR drive tire. It would be too rough.
  7. Lazer

Right on, bob.

We don't fill our Lazer & Z-Master drive tires. Plus I suppose a 24x12x12 tire would be $$$$$.
  8. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Has anybody ever tried some of the no-flat gel to flat proof their tires? It's kind of pricey and weighs about as much as water.
  9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Having your caster tires and velke tires filled is the only way to go. I used to get so many flats around thorn trees, I agree with Lazer drive tires would be $$$$. And i hardly ever get flats on them just the castor fronts.
  10. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

I am the opposite. I always get flats on my drive wheels and never on my caster wheels.