foam for front tires??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green thum, Sep 10, 2005.

1. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

ok,I have had 2 flats this week on my front tires on my ztr.I saw a solid tire at my dealer $99.00 a piece,I've heard that you can buy a foam to put in the front tires that makes the tire hard or solid.where can i find this stuff???

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

s s tire has it here, i am not so sure foam sealent would work in the cans

3. Terra-Turf

Terra-Turf LawnSite Member

I think the foam you’re talking about is not a consumer product. Your not going to find an over the counter product which will do what your speaking of. You will have to find a tire place to do it. It’s likely that a place which sells tractor tires will be able to hook you up since its one of the primary markets for that type of product. My local tire dealer put me in touch with an implement company nearby who quoted a price of $20.00 per tire.

One thing you might want to consider before you make a final decision is the fact that your tire will become very hard. The stuff is called foam but once it’s in the tire it will cure and become hard. My tire dealer showed me one of these foam filled tires which had been cut open to remove it from the rim. They had to use a sawzall to get the tire off because it’s too ridged to remove the normal way. The stuff inside the tire was like concrete. I can’t imagine what this would do to the ride on a Z, but it seems like it wouldn’t be good.

If you decide to get this done please give us some feedback on how well it works for you. I’m going to remain skeptical of using this stuff on lawnmower tires until I get some positive feedback from other lawn care businesses.

Terra-Turf

4. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

the solid or foam filled tires make for a rough ride. you should just get a couple bottles of "slime". that will fix you right up for anout $20.

5. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I've got foam tires on a 321D Grasshopper. It rides a little rough, but no flats though. Never tried that slime stuff.

6. WarEagleCRL

WarEagleCRL LawnSite Member

Call a tractor dealer, they'll hook you up. The rough ride shouldnt matter as much on the front tires, but be prepared because they will be very hard and very heavy. I had a tail wheel filled on a walker and it beat ne to death and wore out the bearings in the tail wheel yoke. Call around, some places fill them with rubber, some use foam. Ive been told when they use the foam stuff its not nearly as hard.

7. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I just had one of our 777's filled all the way around. It added about 80lbs to each of the back tires and about 15lbs to the front. If your mower has a shopping cart effect on the front tires now, you will have an extreme problem after foam filling. We don't have a problem with poking holes in our tires, we tend to gash them. After $400.00 in tire replacement and repair last month, we decided to try it. The mower is a little slow on response now. I will be taking the front foam out and just dealing with flats on the front. I will get the other mower's back tires filled. I spent right at $220.00 for one mower to get filled.

Phil

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

After you beat out the bearing, axles and caster fork bearings the carrier frame welds will start to break.

The only person who will end up happy is your dealer.

Oldtimer

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I second that motion, the note talking about shopping cart effect is an indication of worn wheel bearings and yes, this beats on the caster bearings (but those are cheap and easy to replace on mine, not so for the wheel bearings thou). I also know something about the extra weight: Adding a 75lb. striping kit to my 15hp wb makes a BIG difference in acceleration and to some extent, top speed. For those who enjoy riding as fast as the machine will go, adding weight is the worst thing, I only use the striper when I'm in the mood anymore, which is to say rarely (and mostly due to the weight factor, I can't STAND a sluggish response).

I also have flat tires MOST of them fronts and velke, best I can recommend is always carry a spare inner tube (or 2), a 12v compressor AND a bicycle tire repair kit. When it goes flat, just swap tubes and re-fill right in the field, then worry about patching the flat one when you get home and stick the fixed tube back in the truck. Far as the rear tires, if they're tubeless, stick a tube in them when it goes flat, that helps as well.

10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

try an farm supply store we have it here at "big blue".anyone can buy it.it comes in a 5 gallon bucket with a valve stem on top to fill the bucket with air pressure so it will push the foam into your tire .bucket here runs about $115.00.