Foam for tires?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dukester, Jun 10, 2006.

1. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

Hi,
    Does anybody know where I can get foam to fill the tires with? I down here in So. East La. there is so much construction going on.. Just about all my customers have put on new roofs because of Katrina. I ask and they had the roofers try to get up the nails. DIDN"T WORK!! The nails fall in the shrubs next to the house when you drive by the nails fall out and into the rear tires.
    Everytime this happens it shut me down and the 2 guys I got with me. I've been using Slime for years. It works fine. I'm getting at least 1 sometimes 2 flats a day on each mower.
    I'd like to foam fill them and get on with business. Where is it 4Sale?
    Stay safe,
    Duke

2. There are a couple of companies that'll fill your tires. Though I believe they're more for construction equipment than for the relatively higher speed mowers.

I had foam filled tires on a Toro 72" Groundsmaster and hated them. They were so heavy! 80# for a 23x8.50x8 They tore the axel loose from the frame, wrecked the pto shaft. The ride was awwful.

Then I had some urethane filled tires for deck wheels on my Toro 580-D and I love them. They're soft as pneumatic tires and cushion bumps really well. They're 5 years old and just starting to show a little wear.

You have to watch installing solid tires for the main drive tires of the machine. Often they're the only suspension the machine has. And solid tires just beat the machine to pieces.

There MAY be a product for you but I've not heard of one for big tires.

Maybe you should upgrade from slime. There are better although more expensive products on the market.

Dave

3. nbizati

nbizati LawnSite Member

The foam is going to slow you down and increase gas consumption BIG TIME. I would suggest putting a stip magnet across the front of the mower. something similar to what they have at TSC to pick up bolts from the floors. It has a handle and a heavy duty magnet with ball bearing wheels on each side. After using this you'll wonder how you every did without it.:weightlifter:

4. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

i would not fill your rear tires. like said above the added weight will kill your units wheel motors, pumps. Not worth breaking some wheel motor shafts and pumps at $350-600 a piece.

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Hey neighbor! I hear ya' on the nail and screws thing. Same here in Slidell, and we also work in Covington, so we get them in both places. Katrina is still making us miserable nine months later,lol.

I went to the Ace Hardware and bought a 3' magnet with a pole handle and wheels. Works great. I will usually make a pass over the area before mowing the first time, unless the yard is too big, then I just make sure I have extra plugs and my air tank. 8(

Also bought some "Slime", the green junk for tires, and have yet to put it in. I think it's different than the foam, but I'm not postitive, though my dealer says the Slime is the way to go. If you can't find any, let me know, and I'll bring you some when we make the trip your way. Most mower shops should carry it.