Foam markers on z-spray?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GrazerZ, Jul 14, 2005.

1. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a foam marker on thier z-spray? I asked them at lt rich but they told me the fert eats them up, and they didn't know of one that would really last. What have you done? Please don't say that your just really careful. I am careful, but there are times i miss areas. Trying to avoud this problem. any thoughts?

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use a foam marker for my three point mounterd sprayers. I really like when I am spraying 15 foot or wider passes. You can mount them so the fertilizer does not get to them. A good marker will run 600.00-700.00.

3. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Grazer,

I have adjusted the throw of fert to be just as wide as the booms when spraying with the booms extended.
    I just watch my tire tracks.
    It seems to be working fine.

4. GrazerZ

I pretty much do the same thing, but I have found that there are times when its hard to see the tracks. Especially if there are alot of weeds. I don't mind returning to touch it up but I want to minimize it as much as possible.

5. anteater6788

anteater6788 LawnSite Member

I don't know why a foam marker wouldn't hold up on a Z-spray, almost every farm and commercial sprayer uses them in worse conditions than a Z-spray would be working in. I think Sprayer Specialties now sells a foam marker for lawn sprayers (their website is www.sprayers.com), we have one of their high output foam markers on our pull type sprayers with 90' booms and even at 12 mph or faster it does a great job. I use a GPS guidance system most of the time because it's hard to follow foam from 45' away but I still use the foam marker part of the time.
    [​IMG]

6. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I was thinking of trying a dye in my z tank. Anyone ever try that?

7. Pilgrims' Pride

from MA.

Has anyone run Drive through it yet?

8. GrazerZ

Haven't run Drive through but would like to.I need to sit down and see how realistic it is based on the Drive label. I think you need more carrier for it don't you?

9. Pilgrims' Pride

from MA.

Grazer,

I havent figured it yet.
    My concern is whether it will stay in solution

10. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Finn, haven't tried the dye, but thinking it would be hard to see at these spray volumes and while at speed. Be careful in matching the spray and spread widths that you don't overapply the spray. The manual shows a pretty good diagram of the widths they should be adjusted to. The fert should throw farther than the spray unless you're willing to cut back on strength and lessen the coverage of the spray tank.