foam markers + ride-ons

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Feb 15, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Both of our foam markers shelled out within 3 or 4 months. In each case, the motor failed. Same manufacturer. The first unit was installed by the maufacturer, and it lasted for about 3 months with very limited use. I won't mention the manufacturer, but these units sold for about $250.

Anybody recommend a good foam marker for ride-on sprayer/spreaders that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? One that lasts longer than 30 hours?

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Hey Larry!

How are things out west? Still covered up with the white stuff?

With running a boomless ride on (PG or Turfco)....there really isn't a way for foam to work (without a boom). They would work in the Z.

I guess you could drop foam behind your back tire or something on the PG just for an identification line.

I use a Richway Turftracker on my 3 pt boom sprayer. I love it!

Let me know if you need any info on it?

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

^^^^creech.....are you running dish soap in for richway or did you buy actual foam marker? I am assuming that you jugs for it are quart jugs....mine are. How much soap/foam marker are you adding to the jug? Can't get my foam to work quite right.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would say they are a quart a piece. Without looking I think mine is the 4101 or 4401 or something like that. It has two pumps (left and right)

I do run dish soap...but I have found that some soaps work better then others.

I like to use Palmolive myself.

Dending on the soap you use, will determine the amount you need to get good foam.

You might already know this but just in case:

If the foam is "runny" you need to add more soap, and if it is too thick you need to add a little more water.

Once you find the correct ratio with your soap, it works like a dream.

5. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have directions on making a foam marker? $250 seems high

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I have an Arag 5 gallon model. The local Farm store carries it. It runs around 700.00. It is about 12 years old an I use about 12 times a year. It is made in Italy and parts are expensive. The main problems have been electrical connections. I would look for something different if I had to buy a new one.