Foam Tires for ZTRs!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bamacutter, Jun 19, 2007.

1. bamacutter

bamacutter LawnSite Member

Anyone ever used them on their mowers? If so what kind and how do they ride compared to air??

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive heard they make the ride a little rougher but ive also heard that you can get a "soft foam" or a special product that still utilizes air pressure but is still a good ride and puncture free.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Why use a foam? A lot of us use "Slime" in the tires. It's cheaper than foam and allows you to set your own air pressure.

4. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Try this Multi-seal tire sealant put in my tires and have not had any problems since here i s the link
    http://www.multi-seal.com/

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I put them on the rear of my Grasshopper 725 this year. Last week I took them off. They are a lot heavier than the stock tires and the mower handles differently. I' currently having a bearing problem that might be from the foam tires.

6. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't get them for the back way heavy they slow the mower down and make it leave ruts easier. The front no problems.

7. bamacutter

bamacutter LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the helpful comments! I'm looking into the slime and the muilt-seal. Anything that will get my productivity up and eliminate my down time I will try! Thanks guys!

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Does "slime" make it a rougher ride? I've never tried using that stuff before

9. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Slime is a semi-liquid. You remove the valve core from the stem of the tire and inject the Slime through the valve stem. Replace the core, inflate the tire to desired pressure, rotate the wheel (drive the mower around a few minutes) to spread the Slime inside the tire and your done. Doesn't effect the tire/ride at all. Works like a 'liquid tire plug'. I've had Slime in all of my mower tires for years and no flats. Great stuff.

Do a "Search" for more info and comments.

10. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Installed slime in several pieces of equpment, it a 2 wheel dolly, a large generator with wheels, wheelbarow, large garden cart ( OTR tires) , pressure washer, and a little 4 wheel wagon the wife uses around the yard. Slime has eliminated flats due to slow leaks. I have not yet had any problems with my ztr so have not added it yet.