Focus Fistures, Anyone Using & Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Dreams To Designs, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Stan from Focus at a trade show over the winter and am intrigued by his passion and product. I recently received a couple of fixtures for review and think it is of very high quality and craftsmanship and would like to hear anyone else's opinion about the Focus product. It is quite an extensive line with many options and looks to suit some varied applications. Please offer any feedback you have, positive or negative as I prefer to make an informed decision on Focus.

Kirk

2. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

I used over a hundred of the DL-13 on a project. The fixture itself is very robust but the wire connections are dismal. I bought these with a 25 foot lead. The way Focus adds the lead is with an insulated bullet crimp leaving all wire connections exposed outside of the fixture inside of the stake. Leaves room for oxidation. And I was installing these on a beach. There is also another splice inside of the bullet, the same and no gaskets on this fixture. A lot of the crimps failed. Billy helped me with this project and we had to correct all of the splices before installation.
    I spoke with the rep about this, but nothing has changed. I'm still having to use this fixture with add-ons. The fixture also comes with a Ushio 20 watt 36 degree installed and a bunch were damaged in shipping. The shroud would come off and crack the lamps in shipping.

The way I correct this is to replace with uninsulated bullet crimps and heavy wall, adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. Would like to speak with your rep about this because the fixture is not bad but the connections just don't match up. If he is that passionate, he would like to know.

SamIV

3. Dreams To Designs

Sam,

Billy and I had this conversation and I did relay that message to my rep who promised he would forward it to Stan at Focus. Perhaps we can get Focus to join us and share their thoughts and ideas. I am an ardent Cast fan and installer, but am always looking for quality options for my clients.

I received a copper AL13 with the 25' lead and it appears to be one piece all the way to the socket. Not sure if your situation is exclusive to the DL-13 or they have since addressed this issue with the rest of the fixture line as well.

Kirk

4. SamIV

I used to install a lot of Cast, but my distributor and Cast are not on the best of terms. So, I have looked to other lines.
    Did you find that the wire for the leads on the Focus much smaller than the Cast even though it is still rated at 16 ga.?

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I have used a couple of their putting green fixtures and found them to be pretty good. I did have a lamp issue but corrected it. I have replaced some of their other fixtures on projects that I was called in on but they had never been maintained so it's hard to tell whether it was a product or maintenance issue that ruined the fixtures. I don't think the transformers are very hot.

6. sprinkler guy

sprinkler guy LawnSite Member

In the last year I've done two overhauls of exisitng jobs that were originally installed Focus. The powder coat finish was coming off, and many of the sockets were corroded. Looking at the systems, you would think they had been in for many years. According to the homeowners, one system was 30 months old, the other "about two years". While I probably could have gotten the fixtures replaced under warranty, even though I didn't do the original install, I sold all new FX product.

Prior to going back into contracting in late 2005, I worked on the supply side for a number of years. The supplier I worked for sold many lines of lighting and the service out of Focus was hands down the worst. Over the course of three years, two of the stores in the Los Angeles area never received a Focus order the way it was ordered. Wrong color finish, wrong bulbs, items backordered but marked as shipped, or simply the wrong fixture. Then trying to remedy the situation was always a struggle, like customer service couldn't believe if was possible for the order to be shipped wrong.

With so many good lines of lighting available, manufacturers don't get too many chances with me to drop the ball.

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Ugh this was such a headache... The only thing that remotely saved this was we had to remove the stakes anyways to install perma posts on every fixture. I have never seen someone splice with plaint butt crimps before. Focus says its probably something our dist did which is totally untrue.

In the future I would definatly grab the cast bullet over the fo fo fo focass.

On another note we did install a few composit spots to match and existing system... no probs yet. We are also fans of thier BBQ lights... seem very well built. Only had them in field about a year now but zero issues besides the included fabric covers fading a bit.

8. SamIV

Someone actually called me from Focus on Monday about this issue. Her name was Kim from the marketing department. She apologized for taking so long for anyone to get back with me. I spoke with the rep in May or June about this. There is now a new connection inside the bullet only but still with an insulated bullet crimp. They are sending me a sample with the new connection.

SamIV

9. Dreams To Designs

Sam, better late than never? Hopefully when you receive the sample and test it, you can give us a report either way. At least they are reactive to installer input, and we can always find ways to improve any product out there.

Kirk

10. SamIV

Update on the samples from Focus. I never asked for the samples. A female in marketing named Kim offered. Been 3 weeks and I never received them. Wonderful customer service.

SamIV
    Accent Outdoor Lighting