Focus For Straight Cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JOEWOOD, Jun 1, 2005.

1. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

While mowing with what-ever machine, what do you guys' concentrate on for the straightest possible Path Of Cut?

Joe... :confused:

2. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

Excellent question JOEWOOD, I focus on a small object at the furthest point of the yard i'm mowing. A perfect focus is even more important while striping.

Joe

3. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I focus on the tracking of the mower first. If the mower can go straight your half way there. Once you line up your mower to the path let it go and adjust as needed. You first straight pass is the most important.

4. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

now i see why so many people on here don't do a good job. you don't start in the middle of a yard with your stripes and focus on a point and just go towards it. start your lines at the edge of the yard (shortest point of travel), make a stripe there and begin working your way across the yard, trust me on this. try my technique and i guarantee your lines will be straighter and you will actually mow the yard faster!

also, meant to say that you are not going to be using the shortest lines possible, as you get further into the yard, your lines will get longer, eventually shortening back up at the other side. (diagonal cuts)

5. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

I focus on the tracking of the mower first. If the mower can go straight your half way there. Once you line up your mower to the path let it go and adjust as needed. You first straight pass is the most important.

This would work fairly well with a Perfectly Level Terrain, realisticly speaking you gotta focus on Hilly Ground.

Joe... :waving:

6. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

i ussually cut the yard in half as well... from there you can correct for straightness on either side if you need be...

7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

starting in the middle is the way to go then you reduce ruts by alwasy starting on the edges. At the course we always start in the middle. Make ther first one really straight then as you go if you mess up you can't see it. When you start at one end you tend to make a mistake and carry it all the way through the yard.

8. KathysLGC

Hills won't affect your line too much if both wheels go over it at the same time. To me, it's the small ditches thats sometimes throw me off be it's easy to correct if you know the layout of the lawn. All in all you need to have very good tracking from your mower to keep a line straight. I've seen many people with squiggly lines. All I can think about is them on the controls too much.
    I have my share of hills but with a hydro it doesn't throw you off as much as one would think. At least it doesn't for me.

9. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Well, Joe, as far as the picture on your original post, it is true that some things are much straighter with the right focus!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. KathysLGC

I was thinking the same thing. that would be one line easy to follow!