Focus on Lawn Mowing Only?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwthomas, Feb 11, 2005.

1. dwthomas

dwthomas LawnSite Member

We are continually revising our business strategy for the upcoming season. The last few years we have included light landscaping services such as mulching, trimming, small bush removal, in addition to our lawn mowing service. I am curious as to how many of you provide lawn mowing services only? Thanks!

2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

The first couple of years in business, we just did mowing. Got licensed for Fert. Also do mulch & aeration & edging & trimming. Was passing up to much $ potential from customers I already had. It is easier to sell a new service to a client you already have, then to get new clients!

To be efficient, we still only do 1 operation at a time. When we mow, we are mowing all day. When we edge, we are edging all day. When we FERT we FERT all day, etc. It is too inefficient (in my opinion) to change operations. I don't know about you guys, but we get in a groove when working. Changing operations at a house is too disruptive.

Mike

3. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

Similar to Grassbusters, my first year I just did mowing. I found out that once you have a customer base, other work just comes along. I now offer "lite landscaping - mulching, small gardens, lite tree work, hedge trimming, aeration, fert, etc. I try to work it around mowing. There is more money in it than mowing but I never would have gotten the customers without mowing first. If you do a good job your customers will tell others.

This coming year I plan to have another crew (same equipment but working evengings and weekends) to help with the mowing so I can have more time for the "other stuff". In 2006 my plan is to have a full time mowing crew and just handle the lawn maintanence (fert, hedge trimm. etc.) and lite landscaping myself. I'm 57 and don't think I will be able to mow 8 -10 hrs per day for that many more years (nor do I want to!).

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm 18, almost 19 and I strictly do just mowing. I've been around lawncare for about 7 years and have been doing it for 6 years. I am doing it until I figure out what I want to do for a career. I may stick with lawncare and build on my business or go into something different. But with growing up around it and I already had help and people that I knew, I figured that for right now it would be stupid to give up a chance to run my own business and make good money to not only pay for college, but to just get a good financial start in life.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What I have found is that it all really depends on a lot of variables. It depends on how you are set up as a business, what your income goals are, what your annual labor hours goal is, ect.

Contrary to popular belief, venturing into the area of extra non-mowing services does NOT guarantee an increase in income. I've been wanting to start a thread, offer up comparable studies and hash it all out. But I just haven't made the time to get into it in detail yet. Mostly I have just gotten into it lightly in other peoples threads.

So tell us some about yourself, your business setup, and what you are already equipped to perform without making additional purchases....

6. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I as others started out with just mowing. After having clients call other companies for mulch and do shrubs i started to offer these services. Being solo it is hard but its also worth it.

7. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I mainly want to focus on mowing, however i will do mulch, maybe some aeration, and small misc. jobs. However i won't get into fert, probably just refer someone else. I feel for me simpler is better, i just want to live a simple life, stress free, and make a decent wage. Besides just because you offer more services doen't imply you will make more money, its how efficient you are. Just keep it simple, and go from there.