Focusing on Landscape

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gordons Landscape, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Gordons Landscape

Gordons Landscape LawnSite Member

Hi! I am new here and would like to introduce myself. My name is Dan Gordon and I have had my company (Gordon's Lawn and Landscape) for 6 years.

My questions are:

1. I am going to focus more on landscapeing next year. What kind of equipment should I invest in?(besides shovels, trimmers, wheel bareels, etc.)

2. What is the best way to advertise for Landscaping jobs? (besides word of mouth)

3. Im I charging to much to little when I charge 10% of the product (plants, dirt, etc.) and $35 an Hour for a job?

I have tried to search for these questions and found it more than time consuming your help would be much appreciated!

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

IMO

1. Skid steer, Rockhound and Eliminator Rake.

2. Pimp up your next install, stick a big arse sign out the front, target new developments like crazy. LOOK PROFESSIONAL! Show the world what you can do, take notes when you see other installs and incorporate there methods and layout in your own.
    See plenty of crappy installs dont be a statistic.

3. $1000 net per day is a good motto.

Recent pics of work attached...stick this in peoples faces and
    you get instant credibility.

pic1j.jpg

3. kootoomootoo

4. kootoomootoo

5. Gordons Landscape

Gordons Landscape LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice!

6. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Bed edger, compactor and brick cutter if you do brick work. Auger. Best way to hit it of is like komotoo said do a beautiful job on main road. Try and design really diferent. Not to offend komotoo but I look at that work and think it looks like another plain jane job. Do a job that looks real different that has more color then a bunch of green shrubs. Even if it cost you a little money to make the job look great do it, it will pay for itself. You have got to make yourself stand out. Again no offense to komotoo that is a nice neat looking job, but that job will not stand out from any other mom and pop landscaper out there. Do something different and unique. I got my rep quick because I was young and "full of new and different ideas" People dont want to make their landscape look like the neihbors next door. That and pass out three business cards to absolutely any person you know or meet or see. Literally

7. kootoomootoo

Have to work with the budget you are given. Put this job for example besides a halfwit who cant grade, buys plants at walmart and you see what I mean. One pic doesnt make a season. Typecast as mom and pa forever more.....gee thanks.

Would like your input though what I should do different.
    I will happilly incorporate next time. I see a few pics on your web site but no before and after new house jobs. A few walls and pathways but nothing special. :)

8. newleaflandscape

Like I said I didnt mean to offend you by anymeans. Its a nice looking job. Its just all I see is green and looks like maybe some barberrys or weigela in the back, that purple cant really tell what it is. One thing I would have deffenitly thrown in was some ornamental grass towards the back of that tree, and some perrenials. But then again the more perennials and such you have the more maintenance, and maybe that customer didnt want any. But by seeing the bark, they will obviously need topdressing and such. Just would ve thrown in some different textures. Not trying to preach but you would be amazed what a different look a couple of maiden grass wouldve made for a different look. I always have at least six ornamental grass in every job I do. Again dont mean to criticize or act like I know it all, but sometimes people just need to think outside the box, come up with something different. I will scan some pictures of some of my designs I kind of take some pride in. Maybe give you a few new ideas. Again dont mean to be cocky or anything.

9. newleaflandscape

Hey how do you put photos on here anyways.

10. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

My best advertisment is word of mouth from doing quality work, on time, and for a fair (not cheap) price.