Foffels Lawn Maintenanace 2010

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Cuttinitclose, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

In order for you to get insurance, you have to have a legal business (pay taxes etc). You also have to be 18 to have a legit business.

Also you can't get any commercial unless you are legit. They require you to fill out a form so they can write your services off.

2. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok then that settles that for 2 years. Just have to be careful!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Scagmower48

And you have to realize that you will not get any commercial jobs, and also I have had homeowners ask me if I had insurance. If I didn't they prolly wouldn't hire me, b/c they had the concern to ask. Without a legit business you can only go so far. Your technically not supposed to be doing anything. If the IRS catches you then you are in trouble.

By the way I pay $502 for a 1 mill liability coverage.

4. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't even know you could have up to 15mil in coverage.

5. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

You DO NOT need to be a legal business to have insurance. You can LEGALLY run a business under your own name and your social security number, that is exactly what i do right now. I file my taxes and have a million dollar insurance policy, i am over the age of 18 thought, but i know a few landscapers in my area who are under 18 and are completely legal. imo call your local insurance agent... What services do you offer? Just lawn maintenance? your insurance will be around $500.00 for that for a mill. If you need any help with this just let me know.

-chris

6. Scagmower48

i guess my post was deleted (figures)

my insurance company did requre me to be a legal business. They required my tax id #. Maybe some companies don't then.

7. Cuttinitclose

Ok thanks. I'm going to check around.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

What happens is you would run it under your social not an ein. If he doesnt have any employees he is fine to use soc.

9. Lazer Cut

Lazer Cut LawnSite Senior Member

When I was 17 nationwide would not let me get insurance but gave me to another guy. He would insure me but it was $200 more cause I was younger and also had to be paid up front no monthly payments.

Just my experience... now that I am 18... its about $5-600 for 1 mil coverage $8,000 scheduled towards my mower and $2,000 blanket which covers just basic general hand tools and what not.

10. Cuttinitclose

Im ready for the snow that is underway. Replaced battery, put chains on tractor, and added more weight. Expecting 5-7" by tomorrow afternoon. Ill see what I can do for pics.