Fog Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by simbo, Mar 23, 2007.

1. simbo

simbo LawnSite Member

Have over 300 large generator cabinets infested with wasps and spiders. Several baffles inside cabinet (noise reduction) make line of site spray impractical. Tried off the shelf fog (pyrethrin base) that just made them mad. Do not need immediate knockdown but would like them to die. Residual effect would be great but killing is priority. Have chem license.
    any ideas?
    All generator cabinets outdoor.

Thanks,
    Simbo

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Simbo

Study the Bees during the day to find all enter points. Then come back at night and use Delta Dust in a puffer. Blow the Delta Dust in the spots where you saw the Bees going into cabinets. Worker Bees will be at the entrance of the colony fanning their wings to cause air movement for cooling. The dust will spread and control the bees. The same dust will also get the spiders.

BTW in my state you must have a GHP or inside pest control license to treat bees even if they are out side.

3. simbo

simbo LawnSite Member

Have not had problem with bees. Wasps and other hornet family members seem to love the enclosure. Spiders to a less degree but all are nasty to deal with. Revisit at dusk not practical as we service 10 - 15 sites per day. Need a hit and run solution. Have pesticide license but my supplier does not know much about fogs. Have found another resource but have not contacted supplier yet. You guys usually have more real world answers than they do. Thanks for the info and if i run into bees I'll know what to do.

Simbo

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Simbo

Dusts are the recommended treatment for Ground wasps while spray is best for aerial wasps. You sprayed and didn't get control so try dust. Wasps will also fan their wings at night. You have less change of being stung at night than in day light.

BTW It may take a few days for the dust to gain control. The wasps will contaminate there fellow wasps.

PS Both "Truman" and "Mallis" have written excellent text books on Insecticide control, May I suggest you buy and read one of those books.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I admit--no experience in this--but--have you tried a Burgess mosquito fogger? Propane heated device produces an amazing amount of thick insecticidal smoke from a little bit of pyrethroid insecticide. They cost about $60.
    Hope that helps.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Riggle

While the Mosquito fogger is not a bad Idea by any means, It might not be a 100% legal used in that way. I don't have a mosquito fogger but I know people who do and use them in a similar way. I am not trying to be the pesticide police here, I have never had the needed used that type of Fogger. BG makes a great fogger that is legal for inside work that I have. But runs off 110 volt power which might not be available in this case. I also have a BG power duster that once again requires 110 V. My experience tells me a good hand dust puffer should control these Wasps.