Follow up call.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tinman, Jan 13, 2005.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

What is yuor wording on a follow up call after giving an estimate. I always see "follow up on meeting or talking to someone" , but it almost feels like I 'm begging to do the job. Mainly want to use this method for Pressure Washing estimates. Any thoughts.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I never follow up after a quote. It is my belief that there is no reason to in this service business as if they are going to use you they will and will contact you and no follow up will change that.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i think a follow up call is useless. tell you why......there are 50 adds in the newspaper for lawn services, if u can't sell yourself on the spot, or within 2-3 days, then chances are they are looking to save a buck or two by calling all 50 of these adds.

4. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I disagree with some of ya. I will give follow-up calls 1 week later to larger accounts, or accounts that look more profitable than most. A few times it won't make a difference, and I agree that you have to sell it on the spot. But, the follow up call (when done correctly) sounds like good customer service and allows the customer to know that you'll be prompt in contacting them should the need ever arise. It's gotten me a couple of jobs I would have otherwise passed up.

Frequently its a waste of time......but I wouldn't set up a business policy that says "follow up calls will not be made." For people who want to think about it, you can always emphasize the time constraints on your schedule, and that you need to know within 5 days to ensure them a spot on your quickly filling schedule.

5. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

follow up calls are the key to sales, and if everyone shares the attitude of no call backs, and you do it, then guess what. YOU differientiated yourself from the pack didn't you? booby, the arrogance used to be funny, but how do you expect to grow your company with your 'greater than thou' attitude?

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I will give a follow up call in a day or so to see if there are any further questions I can answer.It also gives the homeowner a chance to talk it over with their spouse if they need to before making a decision.I feel it also shows that you are really interested in the job.

7. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I do follow ups on larger jobs. I call ask to see if they had any questions about the bid, make sure they got the bid etc... I think it shows you have interest in the job, and also tells you if job has been taken so you can move on and bid other properties.

8. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

For a mowing account i'm not calling back. Most times if I dont sell that on the spot, I aint getting it. For bigger jobs I usually give it a couple days then drop an e-mail or call. Alot of times I hear " go ahead with the job, I just have not had a chance to call you back"

9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I do more pressure washing than lawns and I usually don't call back after I give an estimate. If they don't agree that day I let them know I will hold their spot for a couple of days as I get calls daily for work. That usually gets them off the fence. If I were to call them back I would use a simular tactic. I would call them and let them know you have someone interested it the date You gave them for doing their deck. If they pause at this I would jump in and say that they can call me later in the season when things are better for them. I have some people I give an estimate to that don't get it done right away but call later in the year or the following year after they get their taxes back.

10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Is pressure washing that expensive that people need to wait for a tax return?

As for follow up calls. I only do them if I am leaving a estimate on the door. I will call the next day to make sure they got it and hopefully force them to make a decision. I start it off with the usual hi my name is blah blah with blah blah blah and I'm just calling to make sure you received our proposal. If they say yes, I say great we just like to call and make sure it didn't get blown away or something (not in those exact words) and then ask them if they have any questions. If they say no, then I say thank you and please let us know if we can be of further assistance to you. Click...