follow up on my mower I dropped off.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jul 7, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I dropped my lawnboy off 2 weeks ago at the shop. He tried conning me into buying a new one $700. i said, let me think about it before you do the work ($300). An hour later i called the shop, and gave them the OK to do the work. 2 weeks have gone by, and me being paitient, didn't call them until today, asking if they were finally done with my machine. He answers the phone and tells me they never got the OK and my mower has been sitting there doing nothing! No calls saying what do you want to do with this mower in our shop? So I told him I'll pick it up and do the work myself......... there is no loyalty. I'm jealous of you guys that have great support from you local guys.

this is one of many on my list of dealer complaints, and it takes alot to get me upset.

2. Matts Mowing

Matts Mowing LawnSite Member

fga - I feel your pain man !!!!!
    Last month I brought my Bobcat into the dealer where I bought it for its scheduled oil change, etc... I had previously scraped the oil filter by accident on the top. I dropped it off and ordered a couple sets of new blades before I left. A few days later I pick up my mower and they said the blades would be in soon. No Problem !!! A few days later I notice the same scrape on my oil filter. I get a little peeved at this point. Dirty oil filter with new oil? Did they even change the damn oil? I look at my receipt after the day is done and notice that they even charged me for a new oil filter. I go to the shop and pull the head mechanic to the side and explain the problem. He apologizes and said it was not on purpose and he wwill make it right in the future. He also hands me my new blades. He said he was only able to get 1 set in and the others would be in in a few days. The next weekend I mow a new customer with really high grass. I must have hit everything hard in the world in that lawn. No Biggie !!!! I have the new blades in the truck. I get home and raise the deck to replace the blades. new blades = 18" WHAT THE ^&(* !!!!! I have a 42" deck - He ordered the wrong ones. The shop was closed for the day so I spent the next hour tring to sharpen my old blades that were totally trashed. Still pisses me off - I am thinking about going to a bigger dealership that is further away from my house. I always figured that I would get better service from the "little guy" GUESS NOT !!!!!!

3. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Matt you need to change your own oil and sharpen your own blades. That is a 1/2 project that will cost you $10 rather than give the dealer $30-$50. Think about it doing that is like mowing another lawn with the money you save.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I've always done my own maintenance and repairs. It's bad enough trying to get parts at a dealer, I can't imagine how you guys would let most of them lay tool one on your equipment. I've seen folks take their stuff to a dealer, and not get it back for a month.. And then when they finally got it back, it didn't perform as well as when they brought it to em' in the first place.. Someone else said here on a thread, to take a class on small engine repair, for you ,guy's without any real wrenchin skills, I'd say a class like that will save you LOTS of $$$$$$$$ in the long run..Shoot, you can even buy books that are really informative, I'd deffinatelly recomend them as well.. $15-20 now is better than $150- 200 later.....

5. number1dad

number1dad LawnSite Member

I have an opposite story about dealership shops. I have a John Deere and great service. This happened during the two year "bumper to bumper" warranty. One of my employee's hit a brick and really messed up a spindle, blade etc... Took to the JD dealership shop, greeted me and said it would be ready to pick up in two days. "No need to call, just come and pick up". Two days later went to pick up, deck washed, along with mower, plus leveled deck to factory spec. No charge. The same service now after the warranty expired, but with a charge for service. The service is still very quick. Only had one other occassion to use their service. Always present a professional service and people.

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd be wary of spending $300 to fix what I assume is a 21" trim mower. If it was an engine repair, doubly so, since the price of a replacement engine couldn't be too much more than that, could it? That's a huge chunk of what a new one costs. So I would disagree with saying he was "conning" you into buying a new one at $700, though perhaps if it was an engine problem a new engine would have been a better long term solution. I feel a dollar spent on a part goes farther than one spent on labor.

I've always been a big believer in keeping newer equipment for a variety of reasons (more advanced technology, fewer breakdowns, better appearance to potential customers, etc) anyway. In 12 years of working with these machines I've found that the time wasted with breakdowns costs more than the additional cost of keeping newer stuff in your inventory. Not to mention the aggravation and anxiety a breakdown at a critical time can cause.

And for the other poster, definitely do your own oil changes and blades. With even basic equipment, you can do the job in less time than it takes you to drop it off and pick it up. And you KNOW it's done right.

7. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

bruce,
    it's a new carb, and a new pull start assembly, hub..... I'm not ditching my machine for that. I'd still rather put a new motor on for $200 then junk it. If i would have known that's all it was, I wouldn't have dropped it off at all.