1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Follow-up question re: cutting height

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by coachgrd, May 23, 2005.

1. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

Another question regarding cutting height...

I posted a question last week regarding cutting height and it seems the consensus was that I was cutting my lawn too short (2 inches.) Late last week I raised the deck up to 2.5" but when I do this the grass goes to seed in a matte of days. I'm assuming this is b/c not enought has been cut off the top. Any suggestions?
  2. Grass Masters

Grass Masters LawnSite Member
    from NC

What type of grasss are we speaking of?
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Probably have alot of Bluegrass in your lawn (Poa Annua). Poa seeds pretty low to the ground.
  4. Grass Masters

from NC

If that is the case it isnt the grass taht is the problem it is the weed and you can take care of that Chemically
  5. Knukey

Knukey LawnSite Member

Recommended mowing heights for turfgrasses Turfgrass Mowing Heights (inches)
    Kentucky bluegrass 11/2 to 21/2
    Tall fescue 2 to 3
    Creeping red fescue 2 to 3
    Perennial ryegrass 11/2 to 21/2
    Bermudagrass 1/2, to 1
    Zoysiagrass 3/4 to 1

As long as you are getting plenty rain or are watering, these are the recommended cutting heights for Virginia. I have been cutting my Tall Fescue at 3", but like you say, it needs it again in 3 to 4 days during the wetter spring months. I think I will try cutting at 2.5" and see how long that lasts, it has to be better than what I've been doing. By mid June it may be better to cut longer due to the drier conditions??
  6. Grass Masters

from NC

Wow here in NC we cut most all fescue at 3.5-4 inches with no problems and boy is it LUSH and green right now
  7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

1.5 to 2.5 on bluegrass is too short IMO. Most here recommend 3" at the shortest. Certain Bluegrass will try to adapt to lower seed head height. Keep cutting and it will pass. If it is annual bluegrass (lighter green), It will drop the seeds, overwinter, and start rearing its head in april/may. Chemical control is the best for it.
  8. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

I called the feed mill where I got the grass and asked them to look up what the actual breakdown of the grasses were that I had. This is what I have:

39% Perenial Rye
    34% Annual Rye
    14.5% Kentucky Blue
    9.5% Creeping Red Fescue

There are some other lesser in there but nothing of any great amount. Does this help in suggesting a ideal cutting height?

Thanks in advance...

9. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

10. Grass Masters

from NC

that mix there is a pretty common mix and I would mow it at about 3 inches and in time the grass will start to look good at that height and Id treat the Poa as needed