1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Follow up to "going professional"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NewbieOwner, May 25, 2002.

1. NewbieOwner

NewbieOwner LawnSite Member
    from Alberta

Good day to everyone!

Beautiful rainy day here! Hope some of it heads your guys way!

Anywho, I found a truck I can get for almost free (make a 20ish foot poplar disapear). I'm just debating whether its worth investing money into. Its an 88 Nissan metric ton dually, RV. Yep RV, but the recreational part is long gone (owner drove it under something with very low clearance, the camper shell is trashed)

Opinions? My thoughts were to cut off whats left of the camper shell, and build a box for it. Maybe I could go looking for parts and build a dump box?

The actual truck is in good shape, only 12,000 kms on it, no rust I could find anywhere, paints in excelent shape. Engine purrs like a kitten (v6) 5 spd standard.

What do you guys think? I don't do that much hauling of waste/refuse, so I don't think it would be too bad. Not exactly a plow vehicle, but the price is right!

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen these trucks at work and they can hold some weight. You should be able to put a ZTR on it an be under gross weight. Eliminates the need for a trailer...excellent!
  3. NewbieOwner

from Alberta

No ZTR in the stable right now... Working on that :)

But I do pull a 12' enclosed trailer. I like the trailer, I'll keep it :D

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

As long as you are happy with it and your customers don't care about this thing in front of their homes for all the neighbors to see, go for it. Around here, people want the neighbor's to see a nice shiny truck and workers with uniforms as to impress them. (and make them think they're paying for a top notch outfit)
  5. NewbieOwner

from Alberta

Sorry, did I hear that right? Your customers care more about what you drive than how well you do your job? This truck will look WAY better than my current tow rig (cost less in gas too I'm sure).

My customers don't seem to care about what I drive, after all, I'm parked there for less than 30 minutes, my cut quality shows all week!