Follow up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mowin4Dollas, May 1, 2013.

1. Mowin4Dollas

Mowin4Dollas LawnSite Member

Should I follow up on a quote? I have been debating this, I guess I just don't want to sound desperate. What do you all think?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Sure, though I never have. Maybe wait (5) days or so & call them. I do understand the sounding desperate feeling & maybe that is why I dont followup on quotes.

3. wilsonsground

wilsonsground LawnSite Member

I follow up with the ones that seemed interested right from the start. You'll know the vibe. Usually wait about a week and just call saying hey I'm just doing a follow up call, seeing if you're still interested. Most are and are just to lazy to call you first even though it's work they want done!

4. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

I always follow up. I find the majority of them forget about me. How could you forget when you asked me to give you a quote?????

Day 1: Quote
    Day 2: Wait
    Day 3: Wait some more
    Day 4: Follow up
    Day 5: Wait again/you got the job/you didn't get the job
    Day 6: Consider it a lost cause

5. SSLCLLC

SSLCLLC LawnSite Member

It just worked for me! A lady called me and asked for a quote. I told her my quote and I could tell in her voice she thought I was to exspensive. The next day I went to her residence and introduced myself. I didn't know she had another lawn care company that had been doing her work. After I talked to her she asked me to start that day, and she was firing her old lawn company while I was mowing. If you look professional and act it, you stand a good chance of getting the job. I was $15 more than the old company and she still agreed.

6. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I always follow up even if I don't think they want my service...reason being, salesmanship. To avoid sounding desperate I'll say something like "We're putting together our route list and we're figuring out which day will work best to put you on our schedule" or something like that...

Works for me most of the time.

7. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

Pass out flyers again in that neighborhood and drop one on them....Needy? What you do for a living?

8. Joey waid

Joey waid LawnSite Member

I did a quote and did not get a return call, so I called back to see what was going on. They said they had lost my number and was hopeing I would do a follow up.

9. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Following up on a quote doesn't make you look desperate. In fact I think it shows the professionalism and maturity of your business.

Recently I have requested 3 quotes for 3 different projects at my house and I always lean towards the ones that follow up on their quote with a call or maybe additional information about he project. I see it as the business having their act together.

There are numerous reasons why a customer might not call back after a quote. I Wouldn't automatically assume they went with someone else. Sometimes a customer might contact 1 or 2 people and see who calls them back. I tend to do this with my own projects. To me it shows that the company is interested wants my business. I never view it as a company being desperate.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  10. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good points Blade!