1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

font steps

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by clandscaper, Aug 27, 2007.

1. clandscaper

clandscaper LawnSite Member

how long do you think dry-laid stone steps should hold up for in the northeast? anybody do them, or is the only way to go wet-laid, with a concrete footer and the works?

the only other idea i had was paver steps, any other thoughts?
  2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

What type of material/Prep/height/traffic conditions etc.
  3. clandscaper

clandscaper LawnSite Member

material: natural northeast fieldstone with bluestone treads

there will be three steps with one big landing, so total height will be roughly 2 feet (3 steps at 6-8''), and it is the front entry way to their home

my question is will a dry laid stone landing and steps last over 10 years, or should I just recommend the more expensive and time consuming wet-laid approach with a concrete footer...

or there is always steps made out of pavers and retaining wall blocks i guess...
  4. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

If built properly dry laid steps will last no problem at all. If you do a hack job on them then no they will fail. Same with wet laid...if you do a hack job they will fail as well. You can make most anything last dry laid or wet laid if done properly