food safety

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by treegal1, Dec 23, 2010.

1. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

so the food safety dill passed, dont even get into politricks, you all know my stand on that.

what i want to talk about is the death of organic farming and organic practices in the USA. this is the final nail in the coffin. has anyone seen this??whats the long term economic(treading on thin ice) outcome and what will the impact on organics be. plus is this a sustainable model..................

2. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

Who in their right mind thinks that more government oversight will fix this problem. No matter where you fall in the political spectrum, big government is NOT the answer. Bunch of idiots, every last one down there in Washington.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

This only allows the FDA to take out, anybody they feel like. Technically, farmers' markets become illegal, giving a tomato to your neighbor becomes illegal, but they will only go after political enemies or anyone that has property that they want.
    No different than the arbitrary shutting down of GM Dealerships, by the new owners of Government Motors.

This may do very well for the Organic/Sustainable Agriculture. With the stroke of a pen FDA can outlaw our entire food supply and order the grocery stores to be emptied. The UN then moves forward on their agenda 21, which will feed a few people left alive.

4. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

raw milk vs louie pasteur milk.

5. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

links - what happened? Head in sand here - LOL Obama - obrother.:hammerhead:

6. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

Wait... What?

7. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

House of Representatives Passes FDA Food Safety Bill (Dec 22, 2010)

The House of Representatives today passed the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Food Safety Bill for a third time by a vote of 215 to 144. During consideration in the Senate, S. 510, FDA Food Safety Modernization Act was attached as a substitute to H.R. 2751. The Senate passed H.R. 2751 during a rare weekend session on Sunday, December 19, 2010, by unanimous consent.

H.R. 2751 would increase government oversight of the food sector by expanding the FDA authority with mandatory recalls, increased inspection rates, collection of fees and require all facilities to have a food safety plan. The bill now heads to the President for his signature.

Click here to see the full bill: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111hr2751eas/pdf/BILLS-111hr2751eas.pdf

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a lisence and a safety plan for that tomato? Oh, Oh... there's a spot on that tomato, we'll have to shut you down, and recall all tomatoes at this Market and your 1/2 acre farm will be bankrupted, until we are done testing your operation, in 3-10 years...

They did it already, to the independant cheese producers, and protecting us from 'raw milk'. You like your hormone rich homogenized milk, I do not.

Is your hormone milk, and high cholesterol cheese safe? I just take Lipitor, that makes all the food safe...

Bottom line is... gov't is incapable of regulating our food supply in a one size fits all capacity... The UN will be even worse... Local cheese producers are made to do things that have nothing to do with their operation, because everybody has to be like Kraft... The cities can buy the Kraft Cheese, and the rest of the country can buy local if they want... "Oh no you don't!!!"... Does anyone see the problem here?

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

What's the solution? Self regulation by huge corporations?

Many years ago I worked at a small meat packing plant that supplied hamburgers to local restaurants. When I started there it was regulated by the State & we might have seen an inspector once a month. Then the Feds took over and we were inspected every morning. I can tell you there was a huge improvement in food safety then. But, that was a long time ago and we don't want to pay for this quality anymore.

10. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson LawnSite Senior Member

It seems this bill makes lip service to exempting small farms but has other wording which could include them. Has anyone examined this? It is unfortunate the small community farm has demised because therein is a pretty good food safety self-regulation as the farmer has concern for his neighbors, not just money.

I noticed the muscle behind the bill is provided by the FDA and Homeland Security. Pretty formidable.