1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

foot deep in mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by STRINGALATION, Jul 17, 2007.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

is it my missunderstanding but mulch 1 to 2 feet deep in pyramid shape up against 2" - 6" caliper un healthy?
    there is a meijers here with maybe 50 trees done that way
    i thought that promotes moisture rot and other health issues

this technique is very popular here:confused: :confused:

have i been wasting time making volcanoes
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

What do you think holds the tree up in a wind storm!
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Are you sure the dirt isn't mounded & then mulch on top of that?

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i thought storm support came from stake and line and i have dug in the mulch its that deep
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

grandview was kidding......no it is not suppose to be like that, but like the above poster mentioned, make sure it isn't mounded dirt with the tree planted in that.....a deep pile of mulch like you described is wrong and for the reasons you mentioned.
  6. SpartanBill

SpartanBill LawnSite Member

Even if it is dirt mounded up it's prolly not good. When planted, a B & B tree should have at least the burlap on top as well as excessive dirt and debris around the trunk removed, exposed down to the top of the root flare. 3" of mulch is sufficient, but should still not be piled up around the trunk. Re-mulching usually only requires an inch or so, seems like a way to pad the bid. Big companies i.e. Meijers think that hiring the biggest landscape outfit in town equals the best service. It usually ends up being far from it. Besides, when the tree dies 2 years after the warranty who do you think gets paid to replace it.