foot of snow + anyalize lawn???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Feb 29, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Got a call from a company last week telling me they would determine what type of turfgrass & what weeds I had. They wanted to do this 'estimate' right away (late last week). Prob is........all lawn's in my area are covered with 8 - 12 inches of snow. Got a brochure from them to reinforce their sale. I called them back. Lady said they would be out within 48 hours. I asked her how they could measure my lawn and determine, 1) where was grass, concrete, flower beds, etc., 2) how they could tell me what weeds and other probs I had. Then there was "silence" ......... Finally I asked if she was still on the line. All I heard was a "click" as the telephone connection ended. I have been warned by my boss not to tell which company this was, but it was a National (franchise) not TG either.

Any of you guys run into this? D.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our lawn has some shade, so here's a pic of my boss's lawn that is in "full sun". This pic was taken late this afternoon after some serious snow melt today. You can see that this "full sun lawn" is still snow-covered. Curious if anyone can provide an accurate analysis for lawns like these in our area.

rscvp, D.

snow cover.jpg

3. 1080p

1080p LawnSite Member

new to sight, not new to industry

i am 95% sure who you are talking about

about this company, the best is that I received an estimate request from a person that already received rd 1 and when I showed up there was still snow on the ground with spreader tracks

the yard pictured, horrible shape, there's not much grass present, i recommend aeration and overseed

interesting competition out there?

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Guilty as charged. I have done it. But...I tell the prospect the obvious--limited analysis. I use a snow shovel to uncover the snow in 3 places so I can "sample" the type of turf and weed population. I usually take a soil sample as the soil is usually not frozen under deep snow. Pace off the sqft. They get extra attention--we are not busy.

5. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

I know who it was. It must have been Scotts. How do I know this? I worked there for almost 5 years and they would have piles of estimates to do and force us out there in the snow, to measure lawns. It was totally ridiculous and employee morale went downhill quick. That is the most unethical employer that I have ever had.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I also was thinking Scotts, I haven't worked there, but when I hear about someone out bidding in 12" of snow, or applying in snow, I know I have only seen TG and Scotts doing it, and he said it wasn't TG.:laugh:

7. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I could write a book on the injustices that took place there. It's just not worth the effort nor the legal ramifications to do so. I also had to fertilize lawns where I would have to shovel snow banks off of the grass in order to make sure the edges got hit with the pre-emergent control. After almost 5 years of this type of unethical behavior, I finally overcame my fear of trying to find a new job and I fired them. Yep, I quit, on the spot and have never looked back.

8. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

tell them the natural salts in the fert will melt the snow. look its dog eat dog out there. the early bird usually catches the worm and companies that dont adapt go the way of the Dodo!

9. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

You know what, your right. I'm calling the guys were gona load up the trucks and get out there first thing Monday morning. There is 4 inches of hard pack and the snow banks are a few feet tall.....Thats ok I'll just tell the customer this is how all the national companies get-r-done. Do you know where a guy can pick up some snow tires for a permagreen?

10. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Aw come on guys, lighten up. Let's say there's no snow on the ground - it's still March 1st in Iowa. The lawn is dormant and most yards look like crap at the end of winter, so that doesn't mean anything. The point is to go out and write an estimate, which is focused on what you're going to do, how much you'll charge and why the customer should choose you. Evaluations are way overblown - most customers could care less what kind of weeds are in the lawn for example, they only want to know what you're going to do to get rid of them. Do you quiz the waiter on how the food is going to be made or do you just want a good dinner? This is a marketing business first - it's only a service business after the sale.