Foot problems

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turfdoctor1, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

i feel kind of stupid posting this question, but i am having a heck of a time.

This is my first full season, so i don't know if i just need to get used to some things, or if i am doing some things wrong. By about mid day, i can't hardly walk anymore. My feet are soaked (from sweat) and pruny and because of this, rubbing like crazy inside my boots. Plus, because they are constantly wet, the skin is not as durable. It feels like they are scalded, and red everywhere.

Am I the only one that has this problem? Any remedies? It is so bad for me that I am contemplating taking Wednesday's off for a while, just to let my feet recover a bit.

Thanks.

2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

Simple get better boots

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Most comfortable boots IMO are the Onguard PVC boots from Gemplers.com. They are the plain-toe six inch lace-up boot. Make sure to put in an additional pair of foot pads. Then you won't even know you are wearing boots, cuz they are that comfortable. Cost: about $23.00

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I had the same issue for years, REALLY sweaty feet
    dermitologist said it was a bacteria and perscribed amakcine which is actually used for acne. It has worked great for the last several years

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Turf Doctor you need a Toe Doctor :)

This is not totally something that happens to just you. Rubber boots don't breath and some people's feet sweat more than others. My feet are wet at the end of a hot day but it is not a major problem for me.

Best thing I can suggest doing is using two pair of boots and changing them every 2 hours or what ever is best for you and the heat of the day. One pair will dry while you wear the other. Socks are cheap to buy, but a PITA to wash every day so Buy lots of socks to have a clean change. Cornstarch is great for drying and an alcohol wipe is never a bad thing for cleaning your feet in the field.

6. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys.

american--i saw those boots in gemplers. i will try them out. i figured they were too cheap.

Bill--i will check into the amakcine. at this point, anything is worth a shot.

ric--very good idea. i think even changing socks during the day would help. i get going and so busy that i don't even think about stopping for something like this. But, a few minute break might save a lot of minutes by the end of the day.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Turf Doctor

Get a Timer with an alarm that goes off every two hours or what your time period might be. Made in China these timers are cheap cheap. I have a stop watch that I use to time tank filling and other such jobs. This is more because I don't want to stand watching my tank fill which takes 30 minutes.

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I have tried every type of shoe insert, none of them work well for really sweaty feet they are dripping by the end of the day and have to dried every night

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I take the shoe strings out of my boots ---this way they become "slip-ons", so it's easier to slip them off during drive time (letting your feet dry out) or if you want to switch to walking shoes for applying granular fert. ChemScape horts wore these boots (when they were made by Bata) as early as the late 70's (me included), while the "lawn jockeys" were still wearing the "firefighter boots" that nearly came up to the knees which chafed legs and made your socks drop to your heel. Causing blisters. Now some of my guys even wear the Gempler boots home cuz they forget they are even wearing boots. Gemplers sells the "steel-toed" version, but that's extra weight, and they are not quite as comfortable. They key is to insert an additional pair of foot pads so your arches don't ache. NOTE: The sizes run a bit large, so if you wear a size 10 1/2, order a size 10.

Please let me know how they work. Thanks.:usflag::canadaflag:

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BECAREFUL ON THIS ONE

Loose boots can rub feet the wrong way as you walk. Tripping problems can also be caused by loose boots.