Football field for free????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to a local high school about mowing their field and they made me an offer, if I mow the field during the season, once a week for about 10 weeks for free, they will announce the name of my business during the game and also give me a 1/8 ad in their program... School usually has about 2000 show up to each game and I am guessing I can mow the field with either a Tiger Cub or 52" WB in about an hour... Is this worth it??

2. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

I would do it, try to get a bigger ad in the program though...

3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

It might be worth it. You could probably pick up a few customers. I would mow Lambeau Field for free, no advertising or anything. Go Packers!!

4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Go for it. Stripe the best for you can for them, and that will for sure get you more clients. And by the way, are they only going to announce your bus. name and put you ad in the program once? You should ask if you can get it every game.

5. Jon99

They said they would give me either a 1/4 page ad for football only or 1/8 for both football and basketball... Honestly, I love high school athletics and try to support the local programs as much as possible, would probably do it for free w/o the advertising.. The possibilty of this helping my start up business next spring makes it all the more appealing...

6. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

So next year is going to be your first year in the bus. Do you have modifications/striping kit on your mowers? Get them on there and make the field as nice as you can and show people how good of a job you can do.

7. Jon99

The schools around here use one program for each season, so the ad would be in the program for all 5 home games, plus during the game they will say something like " We would like to thank XXXXXXXX for donating his time in preparing the field" or something along those lines...

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would contact some of the other business owners that have an ad in the program and see if they get any business off of it before I agreed to that. That could be an aweful risky and expensive gamble if it doesn't work.

9. Didn't think about it this way but I agree with the Hoss.

10. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Man I've had the same thought

Our district has a hard time keeping our field up to par. And when it does, inproper mowing techniques ruins the potential...

However, our district is building a new stadium next year complete with astroturf and the stripes permanent, so...