footer for fsw and pillars

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by captaingreen, Apr 29, 2008.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

We are building a paver patio at ground level with three 3' pillars and a short seat wall. How deep of a footer should we set the pillars on? For short walls we use 6" compacted roll stone, any different for a freestanding wall? I thought we would bury one block then build up approx. 2' wall. I just want to be sure I'm not missing something. We have done patios and walls, but this is our first with pillars and fsw. Thanks is advance, really appreciate it!

2. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone? bump

3. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I always set mine on 9-12" of cr6

4. jonlavonne

jonlavonne LawnSite Member

We have used 10 inches of base with both 16" and 24" wide columns about 4' tall. We had a little movement on one column of 12. We are bidding a job where they want to put a pergola over part of the patio resting on our columns. Thinking about pouring footers for this.

5. JJS

JJS LawnSite Senior Member

For freestanding pillars we usually pour a concrete footing at least 2'-3' deep. Its more cost affective than burying a row or 2 of block and you dont have to mess with leveling your base in a 3'X3' hole. as long as the tops of your forms are level all the way aroundjust make sure you pour it correctly and it doesnt settle while drying.