For all of you fall overseeders.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Sep 29, 2004.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

How do you get the leaves off of a lawn that has just been overseeded without disturbing all the new seed? If you leave the leaves on the lawn don't you risk getting mold over the winter?

Also, when is it too late to fall overseed in Minnesota (Minneapolis area)?

Joel B.

2. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC. LawnSite Member

I seeded a week ago Sunday and am starting to get growth. Been a little cool the past couple days and nights but it should warm up some this week. We have some leaves down now over the straw and seed but we do plan on mowing the grass at least once before the end of fall. Should not be a problem if you can mow at least once. I really dont want to rake the leaves off or even the straw when I can mow, I just feel like the roots have not taken totally yet and are not strong enough. I usually just mow over the straw and eventually it goes away. It sure does take a while though. :p

3. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Joel, good question. Thought I would bump it up to the top again. If we do a Fall over-seed, we try and get it in 3 to 4 weeks before first leaf pick-up. This will let the seed germinate. A few good rain storms, 2 or 3 mowing's after an over-seed and I would feel OK with using the Vac. This year is bad in my area. No rain in over a month. Only six tenths the month before. I did not have any over-seed jobs as of yet, but if we did the seed would still just be laying there. Don't know what we would do then.

4. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Since we are in the same region, I would assume it is a little late to be overseeding now. Getting real close to leaf season.

Joel B.