for all of you teen mowers.....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lsu03, May 11, 2007.

1. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

how do you guys manage to cut so many accounts? i know my little bro wants to start up b/ has bball practice from 3:00-5:00 in the fall and winter, and crosscountry and track from 3:00-4:30 the rest of the year. how do you guys do it?

what kind of equipment did you start w/?

2. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with a Craftsman riding mower at age 13 pulling around a cart in the neighborhood. I had about 6 mowing accounts. Now at age 16 I have a Truck, a Zero turn, and a Walk Behind. I cut from the time I get home from school until it starts to get dark. I now am up to 21 mowing accounts and I also do many landscape installs. I also work for my uncles landscape company running the Bobcat so I am pretty busy. I have 1 helper mowing with me. I dont play any sports though so that may be a problem. I am pretty tired at the end of the day, but for me it is worth it.

3. F.S Lawn Care

F.S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I've got around 50 customers strictly for mowing so far most likely 10 or so more. This is the first year I've gone big, so I dont know what I'm going to do about football in August.........especially when we go to camp for a week.

4. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

murphy just drop out of high school right now its holding you back

5. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Well. It'll never work with sports. I cut Tuesday-Friday, 3 to 8ish.

Saturday, and Sunday for odd jobs, and Monday is Maintenance Monday.
    Sounds like your brother only wants to get in for the money, not for a career. I'd rather do this then Sports anyday.

6. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

Age 11: started with one account with dads push mower.

12: two accounts still push mower, then got a 75 buck 5hp riding mower( bad a$$)

13: upgraded to a simplicity riding mower, 5 accounts.

14: upgraded to a honda riding mower, ~7 accounts.

15: sold the honda to get a cub cadet ZTR.

16: got tired of the cub, and got an exmark right before the end of the season.

17: Have about 12 accounts that are fairly large. with alot of landscape work.

Currently we are fully incorporated and almost insured(waiting underwritting). We anticipate this years sales being in the 50K range.

I don't play sports, and i can't really say i regret it. School is what is really holding me back.

adam

7. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm 16 and I don't play sports. I have about 15 accounts all done after school and on weekends I go to our cottage and I cut about 3-4 lawns while I am up there.

8. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

F150 for sure.

9. T'S lawncare

T'S lawncare LawnSite Member

I'm 16, 5 accounts during the week + landscaping jobs + part time job as mechanic.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Your brother has to decide if he wants to mess around with school sports, or make money. Hint: A pocket full of cash and a few nice things bought and paid for get more girls than a varsity letter.