For all the fall cleaner-uppers and leaf removers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Chop Stuff Up, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

What equipment do you use for fall cleanups, and why? Does any particular method seem to work better than others? Different equipment for different sized yards?
  2. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I use a three worker crew. 2 back pack, 1 hand held, 1 walk behind at least a 8hp, 1-16hp loader truck with insert and box, walk behind mower with leaf coll, 10''soft rake, 30'' soft rakes, pitch forks and ladder to clean the gutters. i'll have two work around the house w/ back packs or hand held and I will do the gutters. then all three of us work the piles together w/ walk behind blower and two back packs and tarp the piles to the loader. as soon as there is enough leafs to start the loader. one worker starts to load and two workers finsh the yard mowing and fert for last time
  3. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

1- hand held blower
    1- 5.5hp billy goat vacuum.

Simple and fast. Blow leaves onto lawn and vaccuum. I may cut afterwards to make it look pretty.

Very simple and fast.
  4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

bigger is better for my operation.

your properties will determine what equipment you need. For this year I have....
    Gravely 260Z w/ JRCO Leaf Plow
    13HP Billy Goat Force
    10HP Little Wonder
    Shindaiwa EB8510
    Echo PB750
  5. quadracer12

quadracer12 LawnSite Member

BSDeality, my Dad just got a 260z i was telling him how gravely offered a rake for it. i see you have one. how do you like it?
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Overall the machine has been dependable. I have about 575hrs on it and had a spindle go out on me this summer just before the warranty was up luckily. Other than that I have replaced the HR meter too. I find it a little top heavy and prone to wheel spinning on not level ground, but cut is excellent even up in into 7-10mph (top speed is 14). I have the 25hp kawi and wish I had the 27HP kohler for spring cutting sometimes. I have the JRCO leaf plow on it and it works very well. I will be re-inforcing my new mount bar this year as I turned my old bar into a banana last year pushing mountains of leaves into the woods. I also have the JRCO tine-rake which I will be using this year to "fluff" the leaves out of long lawns after rains, snows, frosts.
  7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Lots of equipment. I also agree, bigger is better. Backpacks, ground blowers, truck loaders, tarps, mowers, etc. Most valuable equipment for cleanups? I think we would be lost without our truck loaders. We have I believe a 30hp and a 65hp giant vac, and they will suck up anything. :)
  8. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Scag turf tiger w/highlift blades/ Trac Vac and JRCO Leaf plow
    Scag WB with gator blades
    2 Redmax EB8000
    1 Redmax EB7000
    1 8hp Billygoat WB blower
    Tarps as needed
    Trac Vac leaf trailer as needed
    3-4 guys
    Mulch the leaves with gators and suck up with trac vac when possible. Other than that, we try to dispose of in the woods as much as possible. If needed, we can remove with the trac vac leaf trailer that I can rent. As Matt said though, I moved a pile of leaves last year that was HUGE:weightlifter: but twisted the JRCO bar and litterly ripped the leaf plow off of its mounts:cry:
  9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Cheap tarps, rakes, 48" WB with mulch kit installed , 60" ztr with bagging and mulching. Backpack blowers and a trailer with a large leaf hoper built on. Can do 3 to 4 fairly large clean ups before dumping.
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We have a 16HP BG loader for the commercial accounts and the residents that want it hauled away. We've gotten by with 5 and 6 HP little wonders for 1 acre lots (~0.5-4/3 serviceable). We have a the big redmax forget the model # I think 8000 it has the bigger air filter. Thing works great but it is a bear to have on your back all day long. Also have a echo650 which we fight over who gets to use.

We just purchased a little wonder 13hp push blower. I must admit, I never thought that going from 6 to 13 would more than double the efficiency. Some front yards we are able to do in three passes. That thig is really amazing. We are contemplating purchasing another next year since this year we moved our residents over to a monthly leaf cleanup plan no more hourly. As of now it is working out majorly in our favor and the customers are happy.

We also have a 61" turf tiger with 29 LC/EFI kawi with the soft bagger. Purchased a set of the high lift blades for it. Have to run a little slower especially in the hilly areas but it performs a leaf cleanup/grass cut in one fell swoop. Won't be able to do that much anymore with temps hitting the high 30's low 40's of late.

And yes we still use rakes and tarps. I haven't purchased a tarp yet. Whenever you see an old pool cover grab it. Cut it up into manageable sections and store the rest in a garbage can. Once you rip up a section just throw it out and grab another one.