For All The Guys That Have Been In Biz 10 Yrs

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by olderthandirt, Jan 15, 2006.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

The biggest change in the industry and pricing is the introduction of the Internet. There has always been the commercials and the residential account. The low baller has always been around, but when people really started to use the Internet in the later 90s it opened up a whole new world of competition. The do it yourself-ers, the people that wanted and needed are services can now go on the net and get all the info they need and if they have problems the co. have on line help and there are many forums like this to help out the home owner. The Internet has been the biggest obstacle to price ceilings for the green industry. And for the cutters the new home owner priced ZTR are are just starting to make in roads. It will be interesting to see where it all ends up in 20 yrs.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know exactly what you feel. That is why a lot of times I question our industry as a whole, especially the maintenance side. What scares me is:
    1. do it yourself homeowners
    2. high fuel prices
    3. stricter EPA standards
    4. ZTR mowers for homeowners
    5. landscape supplies/tools that are now available to homeowners

To be honest with you, I don't think that we will really be around in 20 years.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Troy, I have a feeling that there will be a few real big players and a few local ones in each area. 95% of the lco out there will not be needed and will not be able to survive.

4. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

The business that is able to adjust to changes will be around. Face it, there are many people that are able to do things in their yard but just don't want to. Example: I have many customers that have done their own landscaping in the past but just don't want to do it again and they want it to look more professional so they call me. Good service providers will always be around. Why all the doom & gloom?

5. tiedeman

from earth

I totally agree with you Mac

6. Hard Worker

Hard Worker LawnSite Member

I myself feel pretty optomistic about the future of this business. I see a very large majority of children 6-13 that are purely lazy. All of these video games, parents that don't make their kids go outside, T.V. and the like have changed children over the last 10-15 years, they just don't care to go outside anymore and enjoy what it has to offer. Heck half the yards we mow have children in this age group that can't even start a lawnmower let alone use one.

I feel that we will be in high demand as the years go on. These children will have no clue as to how to cut grass or even want to sweat to get it done. Hang in there I think it will get better. Just my opinion.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Depends upon what market you are catering to. I don't see the internet, the help of these forums, and homeowner ztrs as something that is really going to get the 75 year old senior citizen to stand up and decide to start servicing his own lawn. Sounds like a doomsday post, maybe to worry the newbies. :eek:

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't been in business for ten years, heck I couldn't drive ten years ago, But I agree with your statement.

My old man used to be in the trash and Roll -off container business, back in the 70's. He told me that the lawn business is exactly how that business used to be. An unlettered trash truck on every corner (owner operator) Everyone went out and bought a trash truck, thinking they could make big bucks .He said the prices were so low that the smaller guys evetually couldn't compete.

Today we have two or three large waste disposal companies with 300-400 trucks. with two small local companies one of which my uncle started.

I think this could be a reality for the lawn/landscape business. there are a few big companies that would be prime candidates for this kind of take over. But honestly I don't think anyone around here has deep enough pockets to take a 50% market share.

9. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

I would hope the newbies worry, they should. Things will not be the same in 10 years, and not just in the Green industry.

10. tiedeman

from earth

very good post.