1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

For all those that are diversified

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Jul 11, 2004.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Just wondering what % of you guys do everything? Mow, spray/fert,. landscape redo jobs to complete design install, power washing, trimming/ pruning?

I see alot of different topics here from one thing to another. From mowing to sweeping. Then are you solo or have guys working for you? Are you in the field or office? Last question - what do you enjoy most about the work or what do you enjoy working on? Mowing, landscape, or just talking to people??

Me - I still like enjoy being on a mower!
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Highly. Three crews running right now. I work in the field and in the office. Makes for some very long days. I enjoy installs the most. Not a great deal of satisfaction in cutting grass but it is part of the business.
  3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We do it all except Fertilizing, looking to expand into that next year after the licensing is complete. I enjoy the installs more than anything else. Installs of all kinds, from retaining walls to mulch, to plants and beds etc. I don't mind the mowing either, I like the look of a freshly cut lawn.
  4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

There are parts I love parts I like and parts I totally hate doing.

What I am doing is eliminating the stuff I hate I don't need to do everything to make money in this trade so why put myself though that hell.

Stuff I hate phones I do not touch them my partner can deal with the calls not my end of the business. Plowing I can't stand this either and will not be doing it again this year I am taking the whole winter off I do not care if it does cost a few accounts. Planting I really don't like this iv done hundreds but only handful for my self the whole design part is just agony for me its like doing homework and I just can not stomach it any more so that ends this year. When it takes longer to write the estimate and go to a nursery then it takes me with my crew to do the job I know it’s not something I enjoy doing.

Stuff I like cutting lawns I intend to continue to grow that I want to see that hit 10 k a week next year. I also like our fert business we got all the licenses this year and didn't get our name out for this but we still managed to get 40 accounts in fert this season, which is around 10 k worth of work. This will also be a mega growth area in the future I can see hundreds of accounts talk about easy money. I don't mine brush removal or pruning or mulch jobs either these are part of the trade.

Stuff I love lawn installs and renovations last year we barely touched it this year we did 25 or so of them in spring from 500-5000 each I like them so much we are buying our first mini track loader in about 6 weeks. And our first skid steer next spring The other thing I love is the block retaining walls and walks and patios this is what I plan to concentrate on in the next few years. I also do the bulk of our estimates they have slowed allot now but I was doing as many as 45 in a week in spring.

And that’s it no need to chase down other stuff like painting or power washing or irrigation or tree works or drive way installs. You need to have some specialties what I have chosen works for me and I am comfortable doing it.