for all you cowards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 5, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

everyone is sooo worried about missing a cut, over things you can't control, like rain.....this is the messege i put on my machine a couple weeks back, when it rained, for the clients who called, and wanted to know "when i was comming." this is what it said, " IF YOU ARE CALLING, BECAUSE WE MISSED YOUR LAWN THIS WEEK.....GET OVER IT! IT'S ONLY GRASS! WE WILL BE THERE, WHEN WE GET THERE!!!" if you don't believe me, ask ric, rod, and mac, they heard it. stop acting like an employee, and start acting like a business owner!

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

i got screwd last week due to three days of solid rain. I don't let it bug me a bit. It rains so much down here I just work around it as much as possible. Customers would be crazy to not understand this, most are good about understanding that it does rain sometimes. i always think of it as **** Happens.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

so true. i don't sweat it. and what makes me laugh is...if it rained at my house, i know it rained at thiers too. but still, they call. now, on the other hand, if i show up, and tear the crap out of thier lawn, we got a problem. so, it's like this....it's my way, or the ole freakin highway. no exceptions

4. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

Do You Keep Customers Very Long???

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Bobby I agree with you...but you shouldn't be so rude to your customers...If you call the phone company and ask them a dumb a** question, they don't respond rude and aggressivly, they remain polite, and accomodating

6. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

Heck I work right through the rain...unless it's really pouring. My employees hate me and the homeowners look out the window at me like I'm crazy, but who cares. A little water never hurt nothing. Besides I usually work in my swim trunks.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

yes, in fact i do. my customer retention is better than the pee ons who kiss thier clients butts. did you ever stop to think....maybe they want somebody to "be in charge"?

8. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

You must have a real problem dealing with people. I've never had a problem like this. Well, not yet anyways. :) My clients trust my judgment and very seldom complain about petty items. Not to say I've never had a complaint but usually they are reasonable complaints and are handled professionally by both parties. Even when I was new and was taking whatever accounts I could get. Maybe people just are more volatile in NJ? :realmad: :waving:

9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Its just not worth getting all up tight about a situation. If a something occurs where you have to push back your mowing a few days and redo your schedule then do it, but i would not go calling my customers and giving them some excuse as to why you didn't come out. If I am pushed back for what ever reason I will be out there the next day to get it done. Simple As That.

10. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Mr. Public Relations at it again.