1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

For all you guys who think its impossible

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PGA, Mar 10, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I just landed a 3 acre Church lot and its almost a $30,000 contract for the year.

Heres a breakdown of the pricing.

There are about 3 acres to mow and somewhere around 2000 total feet of sidewalk to edge. There is also 1500 total feet of beds to trim and edge. Mowing will be done at the price of $550.00 per week. Of course that includes trimming, edging and blowing.

A 5 step fert/wc program will cost them $495.00 per application.

Maintaing the beds and trimming the bushes 3 times a year at $540.00 per visit.

A total of 55 yards of mulch will be bought and installed at $5400.00

Snow removal will be done at $600.00 for 1-5 inches and a 15% increase for every 2 inches after that.

Straight salt will be applied at $375.00 per application.

Im sure most of you are going to call me out on this and accuse me of lying. IM NOT. My point of sharing this is to tell all you guys who are cutting at $25.00 per acre that you can move elsewhere and make 2 or 3 or 4 or 5X that amount.

Im a solo operator and this is 1/2 days work for me. They took my bid which was $78 per cut more then the company that was doing it last year and accepted it.

My point is you guys dont have to work for peanuts. Make people pay you what you are worth! If you come across as hillbillies then you will get treated like one. We are all business owners. Obviously we are all smart enough to strike out on our own and take a chance! Make these people respect us just like they repsect every other "white collar" business owner.
  2. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

nice nice, that is cool hope u have good luck with it.

well i mow a 2.5 acre lawn for 65.00 per week and i includes trimming with that. is this to low??
  3. PGA

Do you think its to low?
  4. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

That is SWEET! Congratulations to you and good luck with it!

5. PGA

Thank you. This is without doubt the biggest account I have ever taken on as far as detailed work goes. I will be giving this account quite a bit of attention. Their Church has over 1200 parishoners and to me that is 1200 potential clients. I need to be on my best behavior with this one.
  6. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Yes take REAL good care of this one !!! This could make you or break you with that many people looking at everything that you do. And also congrats on the new account. The good ones like that are getting far and few inbetween the way people are watching there budgets. Good luck!:)
  7. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

Congrats on that contract, thats a nice account for a solo operator, I am jealous. Just a question... A total of 55 yards of mulch will be bought and installed at $5400.00...
    How much do you usually charge per yard....thats almost $100/yd, I have never heard of anyone that can get that much, especially since it is that many yards, usually you would get a price break on that amount.

Congrats and Good luck with it.

8. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

How big is the parking lot for $600 per push?
  9. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, nice job.

Thats very impressive.
  10. PGA

The price of mulch around here is up to almost $45.. a cubic yard. Thats up $15.00 from just a couple years ago. That also includes delivery fees and paying the 2 guys Im hiring to do it.