For all you solo operators:

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by djmyers, Jan 18, 2011.

1. djmyers

djmyers LawnSite Member

Do you find a 6x12' trailer more than efficient for your needs or can you get by with smaller trailer? Thanks...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

6x12 is probably about as small as you want to start with. Most guys will say you'll quickly outgrow it. Spend the money now as used trailers have low resale value.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. djmyers

djmyers LawnSite Member

Thank you for your post!

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

up north, trailers hold their values well. 6x12 is minimum. But a wider 7' wide is better if you plan to have a bagger.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Even when I was solo I ran a tandum axle 16ft trailer. I just like having the extra space. with a 12 footer a ztr and walkbehind are smack against the gate.

6. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have an 8 x 16 enclosed and love it. I use to have a 7 x 12 dump trailer it was nice but didnt hold enough.

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

If you plan on doing this full time at least a 7 x 16' trailer is the way to go. I started with a 7x12 then went to 7 x 14. Wished it had been a 16 footer. Tandem axles too with brakes on both axles.

8. LaLawnGuy

LaLawnGuy LawnSite Member

I've got a 6'6 x 16 and a 6'6 x 12, both are great. I can get two ztr's on either one. I only use a 21" occasionally, but I use the 16' when I do. I do have a toolbox mounted on the front of the 16', to carry extra tools, parts, etc. Both are tandem axle.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get by with a 6X12.I can get my 52" ZTR and a 48" WB on it. All my handhelds are mounted on racks and in the cage on the front.

10. djmyers

djmyers LawnSite Member

Thanks for all your useful information and sharing your experiences!
    Posted via Mobile Device