1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

for all you with pick up trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by birdturd9726, Dec 22, 2007.

1. birdturd9726

birdturd9726 LawnSite Member

this is to everyone with a pickup truck. how do you do leaves in the fall. I have an F-150 short bed and it is too small to box the back and do leaves. do you have a long bed and do leaves or a separate dump truck. What type of truck is most versicle. What suspension should i need and should i get a pickup and box it, a dump truck or a pickup with a dump insert. im kind of confused on this.
  2. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Barrels in the truck or a big tarp in the truck work, maybe a small dump trailer wouldn't be a bad idea for you.
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

4. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I partition off my enclosed trailer and add 6'' pvc to my billy goat yard vac and use it as a loader to put the leaves in my trailer....its slower than a regular loader, but being my second year full time it works for now....its also paid for!...no payment books here!:)
  5. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

My bed is only 6 1/2 ft., so for now I use tarps. I can't build a box either; I wouldn't be able to haul equipment around. A dump trailer would be nice. . .
  6. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

rack and blow them on a tarp and threw them in my truck and trailler
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

If you look closely at my truck you will see that the box is separate from the bed. It is 6'6" wide x8' long and 6' high but no floor. It is held in place with tie straps. I can take it off in under 5 minutes. Going back on take about 15 minutes to load and to fasten the straps. The loader and pipe stay in place where they are.
  8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any pictures of that, it sounds pretty neat?
  9. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i have about 40" high sides on my ford f250 shortbed pickup with doors on the back and i use my loader to blow the leaves in, it works great.
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have an 06 f250 reg cab long bed. I built a leaf box for my truck loader this fall. 4' tall by 8' plywood for the sides. 4' tall by 70" for the cab side or front of the box. 35" for each of the 2 barn doors in the rear. (I built it just like a Landscape dump body with a 3 way tailgate system.)
    Just a tarp for the roof. All worked fairly well. Cost less then $250 in materials and took about 6-8 hours (though I did it here and there) to construct.