For all you young guys.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Let it Grow, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys have problems with customers thinking you are just a kid out to make a buck?
    Yesterday I had an old guy tell me "I'll get that check in the mail asap so you can buy groceries" I was a little annoyed by that. I'm glad that he has a good heart and wants to help me out, but it felt like he thought I was out there working in his yard because I couldn't find a real job. (I was actually making more off of him than many other people...about $40/hr)
    I'm as professional as I can be (company shirts, truck lettereing, commercial equipment, professionally designed logo & business cards, license, insurance, etc.) yet many people think I'm too young to have a business. (I'm 24, but many people say I look a lot younger. Last year someone thought I was a senior in high school)
    Anyone else have a problem with this???

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Unfortunately, it has been a while since anyone confused me with a high school student. :( Don't let it bother you, because the time will come all too quickly when you are the one looking down your nose at one of those "young whippersnappers". :) Neill

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont let it get ya. Every one has their perspectives, but they matter little. Just keep your chin up and keep on truckin and be the best you can. If it matter a lot to ya, your professionalism will show with perseverance.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't let it bother you. I'm 30 and some elderly peple think of me as a kid too but I take it as a complement now.

5. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yah well I am in highschool, but that doesn't mean I am not professional about the way I run things. But many times I haven't gotten a job because of my age. It really gets to me.

6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Oh yeah, I have had that happen. And the fact is, I am a "kid" (16).

Mostly by the elderly people, who think im the same person pulling the wool over their eyes as the other 6 neighbor hood kids who mowed last year.

It passes, and your work will learn to speak for itself.

7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

People think I'm 30 and I'm only 22. (Where did my hair go so soon?) So the situation is kind of skewed for me but a few years ago I looked my age and ran into this problem on occasions. Just role with it!

8. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I'm almost 38 and I still get carded sometimes. It becomes a big compliment once the teenage girls are no longer interested.

9. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep I get that all the time (I'm 17).. Usually once they get to know me, they find out that I know what I'm talking about, all of us show up on time, we are dressed and act professionally, and we exceed their expectations. After that, they are sometimes even willing to pay more for my services because they are happy that someone as young as me, will do something other than sit on the couch and play Playstation all day.

Although we do not know as much as people who have been in this business for 10+ years, or people who have college degrees in a landscape or business realted field; we still have the knowledge required to perform the services that are requested and put a smile on the face of the property owner after they see what 'teenagers' can accomplish.

At the end of the day, if I lose a job solely based on my age; I feel sorry for the people who wouldn't give me a chance.

10. ManleyLawn

ManleyLawn LawnSite Member

I run into the same problems that most young people do. (20) Everybody looks at you as the kid down the street. I have a problem just giving estimates. Some people think that if you are charging $45/hr that you are pocketing it all... its an uphill battle from day one. Make it a selling point when at all possible. Don't let it get to you to much.:rolleyes: