1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

For BHB and others

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc Pete, May 13, 2003.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

This is for those that just don’t understand the hustler concept. Here’s a simple test that ECS and Pistol grips just cannot do.
    Start your mower, put it in gear (or ready to run for hydros), but don't move the mower yet. Now, remove one hand from one of the levers and pick up your weed whacker. Next, holding the weed wacker with one hand, move the mower, walking ahead 50 feet, and while still holding weed wacker, stop the machine and put the weed whacker on the ground. It’s something simple, but ECS and Pistol grips cannot do this.
  2. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I'm not sure what the deal is with the hustler controls(haven't seen one in person yet) but what you've described is very easy to do with Toro's t-bar system.
    Thats why i prefer it over the pistol grips/ECS ones on the market.

I move mine around all the time with just one hand on the controls.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Why in the world would I want to drive a W/B with only one hand on the controls and one hand on a trimmer anyway. This does not sound like a safe practice.

Are you suggesting that you can trim and mow at the same time? Not something I'd want to do anyway.

from AL

From what I understand you actually have to slow down to Z turn with the H-Bar. With ECS you can go into a Z turn without slowing at all.

I could be mistaken since I've never used a Hustler.

All this talk about less strain with H-Bar is redundant unless you're a limp-wrister sissy. My guys can run ECS all day on tightly landscaped props & no one is crying about sore hands.

BTW Switchless, you can do what you described with ECS & T-Bars.

from AL

OK I didn't fully read that...you can't do that with ECS but you can with the T's.
  6. Pete is trying to tell you all how easy the hustler is to operate.The tbar and ecs grips cannot even be put in the same breath as the hustler controls.Exmark,toro,scag,lesco,bunton,ferris all have great wb.But their controls are still stuck in the 90's.While hustler has advance.The main difference is like driving down to the store or walking to it.There is that much of a differnce with the ease of the hbar. see the glass as half full not half empty
  7. Doc Pete

I'm sorry, that's just impossible without divoting the grass, or more to the point just plain wrong and can be done. A zero turn (Z) has one wheel going forward and the other going backward. So, if you can do a Z turn without slowing "By definition", the outside wheel with continue at speed, while the inside wheel goes from 3 to -3 and back to 3 again.. instantly. Furthermore, you cannot make a 3 mph zero turn because the machine would turn so fast you could not "spin" around at 3 mph to follow the machine.

So, here again, just like the oil problem you are wrong. Ya know, Am I really dealing with an adult or a 13 year old??????
  8. Doc Pete

Please don't think I'm trying to belittle anyone, or drum up business. All I'm trying to do with my information is offer to you guy's a machine that will be less tiring to use and make you more money per hour. I always thought that was the idea of this forum.

from AL

Sounds like you need to try an ECS if you think that's impossible.

When walking the units can be spun without slowing down.

From what I understand the H-Bar cannot.

Like I said you'd have to be a limp wristed sissy to get fatigued from running ECS.

Are you a Hustler rep. or just looking for some free handouts?
  10. Doc Pete

Sorry, but you're still wrong. You can't do it. OH, for what it's worth.................... If you "could" zeroturn at 3 mph, the approximate speed of the handle grips in relation to the ground would be 7mph. I don't know about you but, I don't think I could sidestep that fast....................