1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

? for Eric ELM

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Mar 3, 2002.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering if you or anyone you know have made one of the chain striping kits you have on your site. I was thinking of trying to build it for my WB. I am starting out and cant spend too much more $$ on equipment. The chain kit looks simple and it doesnt look like it would leave the grass matted or anything.

2. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I made my own. It cost around $70. I took a piece of 1" angle iron then drilled holes at one inch intervals. The two outermost holes I used a chain length of 5-6" then on the 3rd and 4th holes I used 7-8" after that I think I used 12"( I think you can use shorter but when I cut them it was easier to use one foot)
    I secured them with bolts and stop nuts. After I reread your post I see it is for a walk behind so you will have to take your own measurements.

I then lined up the angle iron to the frame and marked it to line up with existing holes.

You may want to use double blades first and see if that does not give you enough of a stripe.
  3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

many and many of lawnsite members have made striping kits for every size walkbehind and ztr. i highly reccamend u try the search feature and use keywords such as "striping kit" or similar.
  4. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I will do the search. I usually do, but I didnt think any one made there own. I will also do a search on doubles. Thanks.
  5. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is one I just threw together. I will be modifying so that it will spring back when it hits something.
  6. 1grnlwn

Forgot pic.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't that sort of create a hinderance for going down curbs with it mounted low like that? Not to sound negative by any means, but it seems more practicle to have mounted the angle iron up higher, like at the height of the back of the unit, then used longer sections of chain. This way, it would hang up on anything. Just a thought.
  8. 1grnlwn

Yea, like I said I just threw this together this fall. Wanted to see resulting stripes in my yard. I plan on spring loading it, plus we don't currently have too many curbs to deal with. You will understand when you go to by heavy chain and figure how many feet are needed.
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have a factory kit and I had a blacksmith make me one for the old Chopper. He drilled 2 holes a bit wider than the width of the chain links all across the angle iron and then took a torch and cut out between the holes so the chain can slip through. Then you take a small steel rod and slide through all the links sticking through the angle iron and that keeps the chains in place. I hope this helps. ;)
  10. Beck's home made striping kit.