For Eric

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottb, Apr 20, 2001.

1. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Im going to try doubles on my Walkbehind. I know this has been asked a million times but here goes. I have two quater inch spacer's between the deck and the blade. So I should remove one when when using doubles. Hope that's right.
    Thanks in advance.

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm not eric, but common sense says to remove them. put the doubles on. like a cross, put the bolt threw the and see how many threads on the bolt you have left. less than 5 you better be carefully with them. good luck to you.

3. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Scott,

Sometimes spacers are there to serve a function other than adjusting the blade height. Be careful to inspect the spacer and make sure it does not serve a needed function such as spindle or deck clearance.

How thick is the new blade you are putting on? If it is about 1/4" thick remove ONLY ONE of the spaces. Put the spacer in the "spare parts" bin for future use.

Before you complete the change over, spin the blades by hand. Make sure you have adequate clearance for the blades to spin without hitting the mower deck.

If your spacer and blade thickness are the same, no change in blade height will be noticed. If they are different, the blade may sit higher or lower under the deck causing the grass to be cut a different height than before. Make sure you adjust all your mowers accordingly.

Good luck!
    Mark

4. scottb

The spacer and the blade are the same thickenss. In my thinking one would be enough to keep the bottom blade from being to low. FYI it's a fixed deck proline 48" toro with the exmark deck. Thanks for the info guy's and I will rotate thembefore I try them. Safety is my number one priority.

5. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

What ever you do, don't used gator blades in the spring. I should have heeded Eric's warning. What a mess!

6. scottb

I was thinking of using the gator on top. With my stock high lift on the bottom.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Looks like you got good info from the other members. The main thing is be safe. In the early spring, two regular blades work best when the grass is so darn juicy. Good luck :)