1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

For FLORIDA mowers!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Victo, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Victo

Victo LawnSite Member

I noticed a lot LCO's here mentioned about thier off season and cutting season. I am in Florida and we don't have any season and we cut all year around. We cut here every week during summer and every other week during winter. I charge half during the winter season and full price in summer. Is there any LCO's from Florida here do the same thing or you charger full price regardless?
  2. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

im in jacksonville and we cut yr around to,every week april-october, every 2 weeks november- december, every 2-3 weeks jan and feb,march every 2, but i charge the same every month based on 42 visits a yr, 42 x per cut price divided by 12. works pretty good for me that way
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I figure the number of cuts as follows:
    St Aug = 42 cuts year ,,, Bahia = 36 cuts year ,,, Trailer Parks = 28 cuts year
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I charge everyone for 42 cuts per year. Currently I charge an even rate over the 12 months.

Bahia gets no discounts because I sure work hard on them when they are growing.

Only the cheapskates seem to mind and I don't want them anyway.
  5. Mr. C

Mr. C LawnSite Member
    from Miami

What's your reasoning behind charging half? I charge the full price. I have a few that want service only once a month during this time of year, I guess you say that is like charging half. I'm getting rid of them real soon!
  6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I cut 42 times per year. I charge by the cut and bill the customer monthly. Mowing revenue slows during this time of year but I more than make up the difference doing mulch installs, clean-ups, and hedge/shrub trimming. I've got a lot of customers requesting gutter cleaning right now, so I might add that to the services list. I've only done a few gutter cleanings so far, but the $ involved seem to make it worth the time involved.
  7. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in California and I cut all year thats why I'm in this business. In my 20 years I don't know any one who cuts the bill in half, I have about 5 out of 60 customers that want me to come every two weeks rather that weekly, but then that puts them on a bi/weekly rate that is more that weekly.
  8. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Why would you charge half during the winter months? During the summer, a few of my non-irrigated yards go to bi-weekly. If anything, I would charge them more not less! Why charge more? The edging mainly and the loss of weekly revenue. Just curious why charge less.
  9. Victo

Victo LawnSite Member

When I first started the business, I wasn't sure about the price. I charged them half because I thought I do less work during winter. Then I start asking other LCO's and some do charge what I did and some charge one rate all year around. The more I asked and the more I learned about the price. Now starting this year I charged everybody one rate for every month regardless if I cut every week or every other week. All my customers are agreed to the new price because I provide a good service and my price is a bit less then other LCO's. Not very cheap but $5 or $10 less then others.
  10. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

$10 less is alot in Florida. the highest priced lawn I have is $25 BUCKS for a 10k sq ft. and thats pretty high for 10k, usually its goes for $20. i CHARGE ALL YEAR ROUND THE SAME PRICE, Right now im cutting every 2 weeks to every 3 weeks, And sometimes if the grass dont need cutting ill find something elde to do so they know i was there.