1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

for great dane owners, good wb yes or no

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by fyrewalker31, May 9, 2005.

1. fyrewalker31

fyrewalker31 LawnSite Member

My business is thinking of puchasing a great dane wb with a 52 inch deck wich folds up to 36. Is this a good wb? Please give us your comments or gripes. Oh and by the way if you dont own or have owned a great dane wb do us a fovor and dont post. Theirs to many people on this site who only happiness in life is flooding a post with negative comments about absolutely nothing
  2. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

i just bought their gateway this year and have loved it. i got the one with the 22 hp kohler and this thing is a beast to say the least. it'll climb a hill in thick grass w/out breaking a sweat. plus its nice to get into the backyards w/ gates and still be mowing just as wide as you do in the front.
    you do have to be careful w/ it though, as the deck scalps if you arent careful, there just arent too many rollers.
    as far as the cut, very good...the stripe is offset due to the deck and if the grass isnt very long it can be tricky to find your last swath to go next to. and it looks kinda funny w/ having one of your drive wheels in the middle of the stipe. it doesnt lay a very good stripe, but i still need to experiment with some high lift blades. as far as parts, i havent had anything breakdown yet, but if i were you, i'd make sure you had a dealer close that can get you parts if need be. i've heard of GD parts being hard to get ahold of if you dont have a dealer nearby that can help you.

overall i'd say its a fantastic machine, other than the scalping (cant help it on most fixed-deck mowers) i have no problems with it, after all...it was made by the same man (Dane Scag) who started Scag mowers, and see how good those are.
    if you have any other questions PM me or something, i can post some pics later this week if you'd like
    it is a little heavy weighing in at around 713 lbs. but you just have to watch ont to get into any wet spots.
  3. fyrewalker31

fyrewalker31 LawnSite Member

thanks for the info. Scalping is always a problem with wb but it just somthing you have to deal with. Did'nt know that the same man who made scag's made the great dane, thats good to know scag's are damn good mowers