% for material, labor

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Sep 8, 2007.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

What % do you guys try to run for your total material and labor cost for the season? Including yourself as an employee taking a weekly pay check or not?
    My material seems to usually run 25-27% but my payroll seems to be in the 30-33% range including myself on weekly payroll.

Just looking to see if these are about normal.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think you are in the ball park.

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

product 15-20%
    Labor 22%
    overhead burden 15%
    incidentals 7%

4. turf hokie

Do you include your office staff in your overhead or labor? right now I have included mine in the labor even though I know it should be in overhead. It will be an adjustment I make next season.

Thanks for the input. I just dont want to be in the ball park hoping A-Rod hits one there :weightlifter: when I could be in the good seats wathcing the whole game. Just want to see how I may need to adjust prices next season.

I think I found what the market will bear as I have not gotten some large accounts b/c I would not move on my prices. Which I dont think is a bad thing.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I try to keep chemicals under 20 percent. Gas about 3 percent.

6. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

Those material costs seem low to me....though it looks great on paper..... if you can get away with it. Mine are about 28-30%. Even though I price shop, I like to use some of the best products available to me (Lesco fert, Dimension, Speedzone, Manage, Drive 75, Armada...). I think it shows on the lawn if all is timed properly. Good luck.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Lawn chemical expense is typically higher than tree/shrub. Depends what you're doing. In the original ChemLawn days, lawn chems ran just over 25% and tree/shrub ran just under 20%. That's about where we're at too.

Salary expense ran between 33 & 35%.........that's about where we're at also.

Advertising = 7%? truck/equipment expenses = ? etc, etc. Depends how you run the business.

8. turf hokie

Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to make sure that as my company grows we werent losing track of where we should be on some of these margins.

9. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

all employee's are in the labor percentage, excluding me.