For mowers do you pay cash or finance them.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DillonsLawnCare, Aug 22, 2007.

What type of payment method do you use?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2007.
  1. Pay Cash!

16 vote(s)
  2. Finance!

6 vote(s)
  1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

when you guys get mowers do you pay cash or do you get loans and finance them??? thanks just curious.:usflag:
  2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I have been really good about staying away from Financing anything.....With how crazy this business can be like this year, financing could be a killer. I am sure a lot of guys who financed mowers this spring or pissed because of this drought. I say save up, and pay cash. Its real easy to stack 10k over a 3 to 6 month period depending on how many accounts you have. You have to set a goal, and stick to it no matter what. Before I bought my turf tiger, I stopped bowling, drinking beer, and anyother thing I could stop doing to help me save money. Felt real good holding 10k in cash in my hands, but felt even better loading the TT on the trailer. I spend no more then 700 bucks per month now on misc. things that are needed. If I dont spend the money, I just roll it over to the next month. GOALS are the key....
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Depends upon your credit rating, how you have the business structured, incumbent debt load, account receivables and deals available - among other things.
    My business, I finance machines all of the time, roll them over every two years or 1000 hours, which ever occurs first and apply the residual value towards the purchase amount.
    I realize I am not the "typical" operation here as my fleet consists of ten ztr's, either sit downs or stand ons plus three walk behinds and seven 21" s.p. mowers.
    I ran an actuarial exercise where I was able, for my business model, to show that rotating the fleet according to the outline I described has actually saved me money as down time, repairs, and depreciation more than make up the difference in financing.