??? for some of you pine straw users....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tranum, Mar 4, 2002.

1. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

did the search and got some good info but not for the dumb question i have....it was 27 degrees here this morning, nothing to do. i'm having my coffee & trying to come up with something. i look out the window and see 12 acres of 10 year old planted pines. lotsa straw on the ground. straw i could probably make a few bucks on since i have nothing else to do. the search info revealed some good pricing info on BALED straw. now for the question....reckon how many bales might be on a long wheel base (no tool box) pickup full of loose straw??????anyone venture a guess?? i don't know if it would be 2 or 20 but i'd sure appreciate your guesstimates.....

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

all depends on what type of bail u are comparing to? small square big square round or what? u can also easily put sides on and be able to hold even more.

3. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

i'm comparing this to a square bale that would be approximately 12/14" X 12/14" X 27/30". (guess that would actually be rectangular in shape?!?!) just trying to get an idea of how much "baled" straw would be on a pick up load of loose straw.
    i doubt i could get $8.00 a bale installed, (as i found in my search) but i don't want to give it away either.
    surely some of you have an idea on this...

homer, you HAD to have raked a little straw in your time. any ideas????

4. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

Tranum,Could you rake the straw to resemble what a finished bed would look like and compare that to a bed with a known number of bales?I've put out quite a few bales of pinestraw but have never took the time to measure the square footage that it covered.Any body have a good rule of thumb for figuring this?:confused:

5. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

13............Had some given to us last year and it covered about as much as 13 bales. It was loose and not over the top edge. With tool box! Chevy 2500

6. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

YLC1, do a search on pine straw. i found lots of good info on pricing & coverage.

Southern Lawns, thanks for the info. i received a call last night from someone wanting "a couple of truck loads". at least now i have an idea how much a truck load is....