$ for spring clean ups $

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brian B, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Brian B

Brian B LawnSite Senior Member

I am fairly new and am not sure of what is a fair price to charge for a spring clean up. she only wants her flower beds cleaned out i believe and i am about to go over tomorrow and give her an estimate. i dont want to over charge her or not make any money off of it. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Tell us how long it will take, an we'll tell you how much you should make (hey that rhymes...)

Each property is different, need more info.

3. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

You have a few choices. You can tell her you'll do it by the hour as you're not familiar with her property. A reasonable price could be $49/hr.

Otherwise, if she doesn't like the idea, as you'll notice by maybe her grimacing face, then suggest a contract price. Tell her to explain exactly what she wants done and show you and then think how long it will take you, add 20% for extra time you'll likely have to work and tally the hours and multiply by $49/hr or whatever you decide on, and that's your estimate. :)

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

20% is low especially for a new guy...50%+ is better...most new guys are not charging enough per hour in the first place, coupled with underestimating the time involved, equals no profit.

Better to NOT get a job than get a bad job.

5. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, you got a point there, more is better in case of a mistake. :)

6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

new guys can also take longer too, so if they charge as much as us per hour the customer ends up paying much more which will upset them and not call them back for more. flip a coin, pick a side i guess

7. Brian B

i am going to her house tomorrow morning at 10:30 to give an estimate. its a small property so i dont think there will that much work involved. i spoke with her on the phone and she said that she got a lot of it cleaned out in the fall and i believe that because she is an active woman (i know this because i did snow removal on the property this winter and she was shoveling while i was blowing the snow). she is about to have surgery so that is why she called.

i will update you on the work she requested after i give an estimate tomorrow.
    she told me that she only has light trimming that needs done and a little bit in her flower beds that needs cleaned out. we'll just see

8. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

I Think For A One Man Band Like Yourself, (i Think Your Solo Right Now?) $49hr. Might Be Streching It Abit. In The Beginning Of Starting A Biz.

9. Brian B

here is a brief description of the work that she is requesting being done.

there is some thick brush in the back yard that is dead that needs to be cut down and taken away; mainly pull the weeds, get leaves, and dead "stuff" out of the beds; mulch in front after cleaning the beds (the bed is small - 15' 9" x 3' 0") and another bed around her lamp post (3' 6" x 4' 0") this will take approximately .57 cubic yards of mulch. I am thinking that i will just get bags due to location and and the amount.

the price i am thinking of is right around $200. I am having trouble breaking this down to show her where that number is coming from.

I was thinking something like this,

Mulch $XX.XX
    Spring Clean Up Cost $XX.XX
    Labor $XX.XX
    Transportating "waste" away from job site $XX.XX (i need another word for "waste"
    Material $XX.XX

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
    Brian

10. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i get $85/load to haul to the dump. $80/yard for mulch installed. and your doing a cleanup on top of that which i would imagine is a few hours of cleaning leaves. mid $300's to me. you have to drive to the dump, to get mulch and them work at the house. some time in that