? for Stihl 4-mix machine(s) owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowgli, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

My stihl 4-mix fs110 trimmer and Br550 blower are great mechine. Both has lots of power. But when the temperature getting little cold, it seems harder to start. It took 4-5 pulls. My Three year old Echo-210(paid 199 for it) can start much easier even when the temperature is very cold.
    Does any body has the same problem?

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Not yet. I do as the instructions say. 3 pushes on prime bulb, choke. pull, off choke and run. been in the mid to high 30s in morn and warms up through the afternoon.
    wednessday was 23 and started 2nd pull as usually.
    Now when it is warm out i skip the choke most of the time.

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i aint used a primer bulb on a stihl in five years. pull the trigger, pull the rope. when its cold, choke it too. usually starts on first pull. we quit using echoes years ago. too many arm and shoulder injuries from pulling for half an hour.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure you choke it in colder weather. Went to start my fs110 for the first start of day, did nothing but pull the rope, started on first pull. Not a better machine out there imo.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I VERY rarely use the primer bulb, you stand a half a chance of flooding it and once a Stihl backpack is flooded, you are F*CKED!

With the BR-550, full choke and pull and if I'm quick I can put the lever on half-choke before it cuts off, that's for the first start of day or when it's VERY cold. Most the time (especially in summer) it starts in the standard NO choke position thou in fall 1/2 choke is usually the ticket for subsequent starts.

Always use Bp 93 in my Stihl equipment, I keep trying to tell you guys...

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats gotta be the biggest flaw with stihl backpacks, how easily they flood and how tough they are to start once they do flood. Gotta let the damn things sit 10 minutes before you can start it...

7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

oh topsites. ive only ever used cheap gas and never any probs. all original stihl equip except 2 fs80s. one lasted 4 years other 6. 6 yr old one used only by me and sometimes the girl. 4yr old one used by white americans that like to throw it across yards when they were pissed.