? for stihl trimmer users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tranum, Aug 27, 2002.

1. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

had to put 4 echo trimmers in the shop last friday. due to increasing unreliability of the echos, i decided to buy a stihl fs85 while i was there. at quittin time monday the guy who had been using it put it in the rack & said "great trimmer, but you can find someone else to run it". when i asked why he showed me several burns on his right arm just below the elbow. looked like you had stuck a cigarette to him. i used it a while today & now i've got burns. these burns are from touching the plastic covering the cylinder/muffler area on the trimmer. any of you experience this with your stihls? is this the way they are designed? the echos get pretty warm, but i've never had one draw a blister!!!
  2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I've got one and never had that trouble but I did have the burn problem with a Kawasaki trimmer.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive used the fs85 for days straight when i was working for somebody else awhile ago, and not once did i get burned. maybe you are holding it wrong?
  4. hagen

hagen LawnSite Member
    from texas

i have been using the fs85s for two years now and i havent ever burned my arm but when i rest my arm on the plastic my arm will start burning but i take it off before it does. you cant rest your arm on the plastic
  5. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

never had a problem
  6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

never had a prob burnt myself on a crapsman thowe
  7. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

well, i don't know about "holding it wrong". been doing this a few years and never had a trimmer burn the back of my arm like this one. we trim a lot of slopes (i.e. pond dams) where you stand at the top & trim with one hand, resting your right arm against the cover of the engine for balance & reach, and never had this problem. even just normal trimming around shrubs, the back of your arm occasionally touches the cover. it won't take lomg to look at that horseshoe with this one!!!!!!
  8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a FS-85, complained to rep about warm air from spark plug hole. Designed to cool clutch.
  9. AAffordable

AAffordable LawnSite Member

All we will use is stihl. We weedeat alot of banks and never had this problem. You might want to take your stihl to a service center ours barley gets warm.
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have a new Stihl FS80 and have no complaints. This is identical to the FS85 but uses a cable drive instead of a solid shaft. Same engine. Never had this problem, but I never tried holding a 10lb, 6 1/2' long trimmer with one hand, resting it against my arm either!! Sounds tiresome.... I prefer holding on with both hands and standing on the slope, sideways, working it end to end. It never gets hot enough to actually burn me. I'd say ask to demo another one on one of your slopes and see if it happens with it. Could wear long sleeve shirt???