1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

For the Business Minded

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by shortgrass01, Sep 6, 2006.

1. shortgrass01

shortgrass01 LawnSite Member
    from SC

Howdy Guys, First time poster. Two part question; I'm starting my own lawn care service with a long time friend. Read once, if I want to keep him a friend , I shouldn't go into business with him? Anyone run into this?

Second, Flyer's- Are they advertisement or Introductions?
    A) Cram it with info or
    B) Brief-direct to the point?

2. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I would go in business for yourself, not with a partner. Not even a friend.

Flyer's-Both advertisement and introduction. Answer is B) Brief-direct to the point.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto--Ditto, I will add that going into business with a friend-- especially this one - will end the friendship.
  4. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Agreed, you can do this by yourself. Add a friend and you will have probs.
  5. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

1) No friends

2) Brief & to the point
  6. JLeigh

JLeigh LawnSite Member

1.) I see no reason (unless either of you are "my way or the highway" kind of guys) not to go into business with a friend -- my husband started this biz with my brother. They each have different strengths and weaknesses, but they compliment each other. That's not to say they haven't had their differences. They have. But they have been mature enough to handle it appropriately without damaging the friendship. In fact, their friendship is now stronger than it's ever been. :) Additionally, they have been able to take on bigger money jobs that a solo operator couldn't have done by himself, so that's an added bonus!

2.) Flyers should be brief and to the point.
  7. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

1. rarely it works but it wont kill you to try

2.ditto-Flyer's-Both advertisement and introduction. Answer is B) Brief-direct to the point
  8. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

I realize this is not my thread, but rather than making a new one I'd like to ask a question....

What do you guys think about hiring a friend as a working for your business? Currently, I have one friend working under me and there are absolutely no problems; it may have even brought us closer. Then again, he has only been doing light work with me for about 2 months so there is a lot of time left for things to go sour.
  9. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

go by yourself, i partnered up with a friend this year and it didnt quite workout, and it ruined our friendship it seems.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This has been my experience time and again, I don't have no friends.

But if you must try it then by all means, just don't say nobody warned you.
    Same old story, different day...